Most effective way to remove stubborn break dust deposits from car alloys ?

Got really crusted on black break pad crud on my Sedona alloys. I never tried and of this Auto-Glym type stuff, thought it might be expensive snake-oil.

Tried a bit of white spirit at weekend ( ...ran out of Jack Daniels !! lol ). anyway , no chance of making any headway with that though.

So is the only way to sort this by getting an £8 quid pot of wonder stuff, or is there an every day household substance thats just as effective?

Reply to
ToxOgrady

a.n.other

"ToxOgrady" wrote in news:%Y3Lf.33286$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

IME, blunder wheels doesn't shift anything that can't be cleaned off with normal car shampoo. Complete waste of money, IMHO. I've never had any problem cleaning off residual brake dust by using a sponge & paintbrush with car shampoo. I use triplewax - works great and you can buy a big bottle from Wilkinsons for peanuts! However, the little black specks of tar & debris are a pig to remove. The only stuff I've found effective on them are the more agressive products such as Autoglym 'clean wheels'. The problem with this type of product is that it is very harsh and tends to eat away the wheel lacquer, hence it should not be used on a regular basis. I find that the best preventative measure is to clean the wheels on a more regular basis i.e. at least once per week.

Reply to
Stu

I bought Wonder Wheels from Halfords just yesterday. I was sceptical but this stuff is truly amazing. My Golf alloys were totally black with

4 years of caked on brake dust which I couldn't remove. This stuff dissolved most of it first time and after a second application it was gone. I'm glad I just bought the smaller bottle because I needed so little. The rest should last me years. Total time spent, less than 20 minutes for two wheels. Al
Reply to
amoorcroft

I've found WD40 cleans ANYTHING off alloys including tar spots and dust. spray on, give it a good going over with a dish cleaning brush and wash off with shampoo'n water :-)

sorted

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

Just don't get it on the discs!

Reply to
Guy King

Tesco brake cleaner about =A33 a spray bottle. Should do about 6 cleans of= =20 all 4 wheels. use a stiff brush, than rinse it off and wash the car as normal.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

To leap to its defence here, I had a lot of crap on my wheels. I tried=20 cleaning them with a brush & normal car shampoo, and then used a jet=20 wash, and it didn't touch it.

I put Wonder Wheels on it, rubbed it with the little brush, and it just=20 lifted straight off.

*I'm a convert*, but YMMV.

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith