Most underpowered large car?

The french Ford Vedette was taken over by Simca in 1954. Simca later replaced the 2351cc V8 with their 1290cc Aronde engine and the car became Simca Ariane.

Any other examples?

Reply to
Johannes

Although not strictly a car, we had a Cortina shaped P100 a fair few years ago. It had been converted to a flat bed, which was very useful for the second-hand furniture shop we had, it also towed the burger van to the nightclub where we traded on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights. When we had engine trouble, a Ford mechanic friend helped us out, and pointed out it was a rare

1300 pinto engine!!! No wonder it was so gutless! Once a 2-litre was in there, it was a different monster and would have been welcome at any drift club.

-- R

Renault Laguna 1.8 SOHC. Pig in a poke.

Reply to
gazzafield

BMW E34 518i Touring, closely followed by Vauxhall Carlton Estate 1.8L (carb!).

JB

Reply to
JB

The 1.8 carb Carlton still made it to just short of 300k without any fuss though, didn't it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Audi 100 1.6 ?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I had one of the latter. Never did figure out why someone had fitted it with a limited slip diff. Twas a 1.8GL, though. Was there such a thing as a 1.8L?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yup, one of the best cars I've owned. Averaged 30mpg too.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Well that was directed at JB, but anyway....you had one up to a high mileage too?

Those 8v Vauxhall engines were actually bloody good engines before they started strangling them with cats and all that. Nothing to set the world on fire, but good bulletproof engines.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I had a pre-cat 2L Cav with 130bhp. Went like shit of a shovle and was quiet as a mouse doing it. 70mph at 2600rpm - Lovely.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes. My parents had one when I was a kid. Totally indestructable. Horrible brown colour, though. The L didn't even have electric windows or central locking, at least back then (it was a B reg, if I recall).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The GL didn't have electric windows either, but did have central locking and a sunroof. This was E reg though.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I think most of us did.

After making the decision to scrap mine and get something else, I stopped servicing it. 20,000 miles later I had to chop it up with an angle grinder to kill it. That was the first time I saw the inside of the dizzy cap (they're almost impossible to get to with the bulkhead in place) and it was like new, despite doing 90,000 miles in my ownership.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I was once tempted by a Ford Granada 1.8 (new model). It had only 4 forward gears, but what really put me off was the lack of power steering on such a large car.

Reply to
Johannes

Citroen CX 2200D? (let's say safari to make it even bigger). 75hp

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Zodiac mk4 with the little v4 in it, or mk3 cortina estate with 1300 crossflow, likewise mk4

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

So do I get sympathy for my Fiat Ducato? 68bhp and 2800kg loaded?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Granada 2.1 diesel, Pug engine

Reply to
andypdq

Ask Burgerman about diesel Ducatos (or should that be Ducati?) - he likes 'em.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I recently drove a mint one owner very low mileage SD1 2000 without power steering. And instantly knew why it was very low mileage. It was near impossible to park in the average street parking space.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)