MOT and Lights

I have never seen a MOT tester slap a car in reverse to test reverse lights, they say its not part of the test.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Stations multiple, hence my disbelief that it's a single tester who doesn't know what he's doing. This year I just removed the reversing lights as they weren't standard fitment.

Reply to
Depresion

You were conned..

Reply to
Conor

Correct. In addition, failing MK3 Escorts on corroded battery trays and pre-1972 cars on high CO readings were common even though both items weren't testable.

Reply to
Conor

If the battery tray area is severely corroded on a mark three escort then it CAN be a failure as it may be within the fail distance from the suspension top mount, also it can weaken the servo/master cylinder mount, you can even see the cylinder waggle about as you press the pedal on a bad one, it might even be within the fail distance of the steering rack mounting on the left.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you are in the not too far from Lakeside, Essex area then I can recommend a very fair station that pride themselves on NOT making up failures. The ministry like them too as they frequently bring them appeal tests. They do charge full price and do free retests within a reasonable period. I take them about 50 plus MoTs a year, so I have a very good idea of what is OK with them. They also go on training courses as often as possible so are up to speed on latest problem areas.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Isn't an insecure battery a fail?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not nowadays, no. It used to be a very common failure though.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A friend of mine hasn't had a working reverse light for three years and it has passed its MoT every time.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I sit corrected.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Barry are you the guy who had a problem with a corsa?

Reply to
dave F

It isn't..that was the point.

Wrong side of the car...

Reply to
Conor

Doesn't always make the battery insecure.

Reply to
Conor

Only the offside one need work (if you have two), as it, or a centre one, is the only compulsorily-fitted light.

Others have suggested "if it is fitted, it must work". I don't think this is even generally true. One obvious exception is ABS, but I haven't scoured the manual for other examples.

Reply to
John Laird

not on the mk3 escorts I have seen, and owned, or the dozen or more trays I have welded in, and I am fairly certain it is within 30 cm of a mounting point for suspension/brakes/steering, and if very rotten can severely weaken the structure enough to be a failure in any case.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

My MoT docket indicates clearly a blown rear reverse bulb, replaced for 60p and a note underneath saying "not a fail but replaced anyway"

Reply to
Chris Street

Isn't there a requirement for lamps in general not to dazzle other road users? (ie a badly aimed front fog could fail for that) or does that just apply to headlamps?

Reply to
Chris Street

you are right, but it is still not an mot point, legal requirement maybe, but not mot fail (daft as that may seem)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

On a Mk3?

Reply to
Chris Street

There's a link to the manual, show me where it mentions reversing lights.

Reply to
SimonJ