MOT failure - advice needed :-(

Took car to Kwikfit for MOT (probably not best idea).

Failed for a few things:-

  1. Headlight not secured. I know one of the fixings for the headlight is broken but are they being overpicky here. Its definitely not loose because 4 out of 5 bolts are still holding it.

  1. Exhaust mountings. They are saying the bit that hangs on to the rubbers has snapped off.and I need whole new exhaust. Can this be repaired/welded or something?

I'm seriously thinking of going somewhere else and paying for another MOT as a second opinion.

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

OK. I';ll take it somewhere else tomorrow. Did seem a bit off replacing the whole exhaust because of this.

What about the headlight? Over picky or correct?

Reply to
paulfoel

OK. I';ll take it somewhere else tomorrow. Did seem a bit off replacing the whole exhaust because of this.

What about the headlight? Over picky or correct?

If it points in the right direction, or can be made to do so, an independant would pass it, assuming it's not flapping around like yer granny's norks.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

nope its not.

Reply to
paulfoel

Cars always do at places like that. Same for main dealerships. They all want money and will *LIE* to get it.

They want to charge. Probably for a new light.

What rubbish. This is a lie to sell you a complete exhaust - which WILL be cheaper from a main dealership and better quality.

I would, but then I never go near rip-off merchants like Kwik Fit. Look on the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert Site. You can get your MOT at a local centre and they have no interest in selling parts.

They use a strange system to extract money from customers at Kwik Fit. It's been covered a million times on TV consumer shows. Each section of a car is worth a maximum amount. So cut it in to 4, then also look under it to include exhausts, cluch, oil, filters etc. Each employee is forced to sell and a target must be met, so they lie to customers to keep their jobs. If a woman ventures in they will rip her off as soon as they see the car. Child seats mean "you have faulty brakes" and "It is illegal to let you leave without repairing them". Certain phrases are used that are not true. They will offer rear shock absorbers all the time as they are easy to do, they never offer front ones! If a man goes in they will work out what he knows about cars, then downgrade the urgency and adjust the sales talk. If you get to the point of thinking it costs too much, they offer a 0% credit card type arrangement. This turns out to be 30+% APR with additional fees, so always refuse it. The parts are NOT genuine parts - they are cheaper copies so do nto last as long and should be a lot cheaper. Main Dealerships are actually CHEAPER, don't lie as much and tend to do a better job with genuine parts. Kwik Fit is not a garage I would ever visit or recommend to people.

Reply to
TJ

Not keen on kwikfit then !!!

Normally I wouldnt use them but I neede it done in a huryy and I though the car would pass.

Reply to
paulfoel

If the headlight is secure and can be adjusted then it shouldn't fail I'd say As for the exhaust I'm guessing you mean a hook that's welded to the pipe and it hangs off one of the rubbers . Get an exhaust clamp that'll fit the exhaust at that point and a heavy hook of a suitable size and bend it to suit if necessary and fit one end between the exhaust clamp and the exhaust and hook the other end on to the rubber .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

ke

Yes. Thats the bit.

Reply to
paulfoel

Paul,

Try Asset MOT & Car Centre, Oak Street, Abertillery NP13 1TG for a very fair MOT.

They only do MoT's (and sell cars) so there is no incentive for them to fail a car just for the work (but they can arrange a garage where any work can be done.

I've had dealings with this firm for several years now (along with others in the family [daughter bought two cars from them) and found them to be really honest and fair - and they'll even let you wander around under the car whiles they are testing it.

Just one small inconvenience though, theu will only accept cash or cheques (debit and credit cards are a no-no with them).

As for Kwikfit, was it the one down by the Cenotaph on Caerleon Road? If it was, I've had a few problems there in times past and won't go there now.

RJG

Reply to
RJG

Surely an MOT examiner should describe the problem - and not specify the remedy.

eg. "You need to attend to the loose exhaust" - and not - "you need a complete system"

Reply to
John

Or state the reason for failure as " Exhaust Not Secured to Vehicle"

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

They just happen to sell exahusts. LOL

Reply to
The Revd

Yep. Thats the one. By the Cenotaph.

Reply to
paulfoel

How'd u know i was in newport anyway? :-)

Reply to
paulfoel

Had a look at the headlight today. Loose my arse... Hardly. Tightened a few of the bolts - took about 30 seconds tops. Nothing wrong now. And these nobheads were telling me I needed a new headlight unit.

Off for another MOT today with a place that only does MOTs. Get a real idea of whats required (if anything).

I promise NEVER to visit KwikFit again.

Reply to
paulfoel

Just to throw a spanner in the works - imagine some helpless - non technical person being told their car had failed " And they didn't offer to help or suggest how I could get it fixed. I am not going there again!" Some people seem happy to pay a lot as long as they are not required to make any decisions. (They don't use this group!) They are probably the sort who sell their car before it needs an MOT - or book it for a pre-MOT check.

Reply to
John

Frightening. A new headlight unit from Kia is at least =A3200. All for the need of a few bolts tightening.

Likewise, a new exhaust - I dont think so.

Reply to
paulfoel

How did you fix the exhaust?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Havent done yet. Taking to local garage today for it to be looked at.

Headlight is fixed though.

Reply to
paulfoel