mot question

If I take my car to a garage for an MOT and it fails - do I have to pay another retest fee if I do the work myself and take it back to the same test centre? The reason I ask is that a garage here takes any cars for MOT to another (unrelated) garage (MOT test centre) and they don't get charged a re-test fee if they do the work. Is there some kind of arrangement between garages?

Reply to
dave

dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It depends what it fails on - there's a list of things which qualify for a partial re-test. If it's not something on that, then the tester can charge you full whack for a re-test. He can, of course, choose not to.

Very likely, yes. In practice (whisper it if there's somebody from VOSA around) the car'll head back with a pass cert and a "Get this fixed" word in the ear.

Reply to
Adrian

It depends on the individual garage to some extent - although IIRC there are some minor things that they can't charge a full fee for. Look for one which offers a free re-test regardless. (They usually have a time limit)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Before I had my own MOT station we used to take ours to another garage, as we took 2-3 every day we got a discount and free retest's if needed. When computerization came in a lot of places stopped the free retest as you had to spend more time doing it, it also ended the *pass and get it done* thingy as VOSA can now turn up within a minute of the pass being issued and retest the vehicle. We give a 1 free retest within 10 day's on anything, but we only log it in after we have checked the repairs.

Reply to
Fred

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:29:57 +0100, "Fred" > charged a re-test fee if they do the work. Is there some kind of

Thanks all. Very helpful replies.

Reply to
dave