Motorist in a day dream

I think the sign itself was changed from 'No mopeds' to no under 50cc's.

Reply to
Henry H

I would imagine that all 50cc motorcycles are actually 49cc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I gave up bikes in 1978 and the lower limit was 50cc as shown on the picture of the sign. It has always been that AFAIR.

Did you bother to look?

It says 50cc. I had a Honda C100 for a couple of years. Produced in

1965 that had a 49cc engine and a top speed of around 38mph. It was classed as a scooter because it had no pedal assist. Wasn't allowed on motorways but was allowed on dual carriageways.

And there were bikes with engines under 49cc. Some as small as 22cc IIRC

Reply to
AlanG

Its legal to ride one on a dual carriageway but not a motorway

AlanG

Yes you are. Completely and utterly wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Actually, I think the 50cc rule came in to replace the previous 'no moped' rule. It 'mopped up' mopeds and the small motorcycles, eg the Honda 50 and the like, which were actually 49cc.

I'm not sure when the signs changed but I think it was after 1980.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Nah. I had a C100 49cc engine in the early 70s and I could not use the motorway with it. Wasn't classed as a moped either because it had no pedals

Reply to
AlanG

I've found myself pressing on imaginary brake pedals in the passenger foot-well on several occasions when being driven in that part of the world. If you look at videos showing driving in that part of the world, it seems accepted practice.

In London, to me, it doesn't seem to matter who is at the wheel, they all seemed to do it (but then I was a doddering "tourist" who took a wrong turn and ended up driving from SW London to the M1 across town...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you are talking about India, I didn't have to drive (thank god) the company provided a car and driver for which, every time I went out, I thanked them from the bottom of my heart!!!

Reply to
Ophelia

Even worse is imaginary rolling backwards at traffic lights as the other cars move forward. It takes a second or two to realise that all the pedal pushing in the world won't stop the car moving.

Reply to
Henry H

When I went to India, what I remember most is thanking people from the heart of my bottom.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Don't you long for the days when this was the most derogatory statement anyone could say about Pakistanis ?

Reply to
Cassandra

Used to be No Mopeds or Motorcycles under 50cc

Reply to
djc

Back in my student days, we bought a TV set from an Indian or Pakistani family, and being a valve job, it stank of curry for a week until it had burned off. You can have too much of a good thing!

Reply to
Davey

HTH

Mr Pounder

Jalfrezi is preferable to sour milk.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Many years ago my wife and I bought a TV with a wooden cabinet from a nice English gentleman.

It turned out to be riddled with woodworm which spread to an inner door, fortunately I had a friend who was a BS surveyor and he gave me some fluid to treat it.

Reply to
Gordon H

Was the nice English gentleman also riddled with woodworm? I once rented, in a Portuguese hotel, a small refrigerator, which turned out to have an ant colony inside the chassis.

OT: One of the TV set's brothers died spectacularly, with sparks and smoke coming out of the back. Later, we found out that everyone watching TV in the street at that time had suffered a big signal disruption. I think we re-invented the spark-gap transmitter.

Reply to
Davey

Many years ago I worked for a branch of the Philips organisation in Weybridge. Old Roy who desiged the line output stages was always complaining that the housing designers never left enough space for adequate ventilation. His opinion was confirmed when a fairly new TV monitor on test caught fire.

All the old lags stood around watching it burn. Phil, the new graduate engineer, immediately went to the back of the lab and collected the CO2 fire extinguisher, brought it to the burning monitor and very efficiently put out the blaze; to the chorus of "Oh Phil, you should have let it burn, we would have got a new lab!"

I joined about a year later - and after 6 months we were all (except Phil) made redundant!

Some 25 years later I did some contract work for Philips in Cambridge. It was like a time-warp - the same run-down labs and equipment. Curiously one or two of the same head-office names; the sort generally described as "suits".

Reply to
Graham J

Hmm did you ever meet my mate Tony? He designed the pyramid shield for the electron gun on Philips tubes that mopped up slow electrons and sharpened the image.

I think he was at Weybridge.

Reply to
Steve Firth