Motorist in a day dream

Take the bus

Reply to
AlanG

You need say no more.

Reply to
Adrian

He may well be an off duty "airport run" drivers who do that all day every day, it's like 2nd nature. Or he's just local and drives it every day.

I learned to drive in South London and when I passed my test, the stretch of

3-lane A3 from the Hook underpass was all 70mph (it's 50 now), during rush hour the cars in lanes 2 and 3 were nose-to-tail, all doing 60-80mph and the lanes are marginally wider than a car. You just get used to it and become comfortable with it, it didn't seem dangerous because it was all we knew. When I moved to the South Coast and there was ever a "day out" to London, I always got nominated to drive because everyone else hated driving into London, they were used to more sedate roads. I thought the "busy" roads near the Coast were like country lanes compared to what I was used to.
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Extend steel spike from your vehicle, use cctv and remote control to align spike with tailgating drivers head. Brake hard. Wait for impact. Accelerate to remove foreign object impaled on spike. Retract spike. Smile.

Reply to
The Other Mike

ABS etc. only normally come into play when something goes [badly] wrong. Whilst they are operational all the time they do not normally control the car, only intervening when the driver creates a skid (which most normal road drivers will not want to do) or actually collide with something.

A cruise control does hold the speed, but a radar cruise control would be far more active.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Ahh is this a car she has chosen with it already installed?? Ok.

Reply to
Ophelia

lol, I want one!

Reply to
Ophelia

Do they smell of curry too?

Reply to
AC

Rabbit not painful enough for you?

Reply to
AC

Any motorcycle over 50cc is allowed on M-way. All you need is a FS1E with the pedals removed and 60cc big bore kit.

You would have to be mad to get on one with anything less than a 250cc.

Back in the late 70's a mate used to go down M6/5/4 Stafford to Bath to see his girlfriend at poly on a Honda SL125 every weekend. Sit up and beg trails bike with about 12bhp so flat out was about 60mph.

That's what the ABS is for.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I've done Spaghetti Junction to Rawtenstall a few times up the M6 on a

125 - a Honda NS 125R, derestricted. It was actually faster than the Suzuki GN250 I once rode from London to Rawtenstall on. That said, doing 10,000rpm at 80 crouched over a small 2-smoke engine wasn't very pleasant. It would actually indicate 100 if you tried hard enough.
Reply to
Mike P

Since when? It used to be 150cc in my day.

Reply to
George

Since motorways were invented.

AlanG

I'm pretty sure you are wrong Alan and that the limit was 150cc years ago. There aren't any bikes under 49cc anyway.

Reply to
Al

Apart from the subtle detail that the restriction is "under 50cc", you're wrong - there ARE sub 49cc road-legal motorbikes. Not many, maybe, and perhaps not in a 2013 dealer's showroom. But they certainly do exist - some from "household names" including Ducati.

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe, but I'm not wrong about the limit used to be 150cc once upon a time. My old Lambretta LD150 was a 150cc and top speed was well under 50MPH. Mopeds (real ones with pedals) would have had a maximum speed of 25-30MPH and would have been lethal to ride on a motorway.

These days of course it is quite feasible to hit 70MPH on a 50cc machine.

I'd hazard a guess that any changes would have been made around 1990 when bike licenses were changed over.

Reply to
Al

OT I know, but when I worked in Buenos Aires, we used to drive on the PanAmericana Highway to get to work every day. You could have hot-hatches doing 180 mph (really) in the fast lane, and donkey carts on the hard shoulder. Scary, until you got used to it.

Reply to
Davey

it has been 50cc plus since the early 70's for 100pc certain, AFAIK it has always been since mways started.

I bet there are some sub 50 motorbikes made somewhere!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No, you're wrong. There never was a 150cc limit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Anyone riding a 50cc bike on a motorway must have a death wish.

Reply to
Henry H