Mouldy carpet in car boot

My 98 Peugeot 106 has a condensation problem in the boot. The carpet smells of mould! I wonder if drilling a series of holes in the ribbed steel floor would help it breathe, or cause more issues?

There are a few rust patches already, some of them have gone though, so the boot is not airtight; but there are no holes below the carpet.

Any ideas? I don't mind if I have to drill some holes, the car isn't really worth any more than the value of the petrol in the tank!

Thanks!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

holes above the carpet are the problem, empty the boot and get in when it is raining.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The chief culprits I have found are the lamp clusters. Often the guttering diverts water over the lamp clusters, so any problem seals get a double drenching.

Reply to
GB