Increasing Leg Room in car.

Project Bonneville continues. This is something I should have done 12 years ago but never had the ambition. I got the ambition now seeing I'm keeping the car till I'm 100. Legroom has always been a problem with this car. If only the seat went back three more inches! Damn college engineers.

Well in the next few days or so my ( power ) driver seat will be about 4 inches farther back. I got two bars of 5/16 flat stock, 1 - 1/2 inches wide ( seat leg width ) and 22 inches long.

The two bars will have 8 holes drilled in them. The first set of four will be the forward row and these holes will go over the threaded studs sticking up from the floor, the bars will be anchored down to the floor using the original nuts.

The other set of four holes in the bar will be drilled three to four inches further back from the stud spacing - once the seat is bolted down to the steel bars it will then be 3 to 4 inches farther back.

First I will try some small C clamps to hold the seat to the bars to get an idea how far I want to move the seat back before I drill the four holes..

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

That's something I've had to do with every vehicle I've ever owned. (6'6") Do NOT forget to re-brace the floor pan or at the least use fender washers. Same with moving the belt mounts back.

Reply to
FBR

FBR

Seatbelt buckle anchor is bolted to the side of the seat frame. Nothing has to be done to the belt. The center passenger one is bolted to the hump in the floor.

I don't think the floorpan needs reinforcing, The area the studs are at is an area that is a stamped out depression. That part of the floor is pretty strong.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

That's a pretty ingenious idea, Harry. Give us a report when you place the newly positioned seat into service. Good Luck.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

nobody ever sits in the back of your car do they?

how tall ARE you?

Reply to
Paradox

Paradox asked : Nobody ever sits in the back of y our car do they ?

I had 5 people in the car the weekend you were " Bored " and I went to Sin Sin Nati. Even with both front seats back all the way there is plenty of room for backseat passengers kness, feet & legs. I'm 5' 11". The Z-24 I had I could run the seat all the way back and sit striaght legged and not reach the pedals - can't sit straight legged this car - that is why the Project continues.................

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Oh by the way I sat in the 04 Supercharged Monte Carlo SS. No sunroof.

Driver Seat back & down all the way - Lean your head out the window, head hits the window frame on the door. Head also brushes the headliner, can't wear a baseball hat in that car, let alone my cowboy hat !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

wow I'm 5'11 and I dont have that problem, short legs?

Reply to
Paradox