Mr.Clutch?

My 2008 S was much the same. Except once, mid corner, going fairly fast on dry tarmac, one wheel locked to snap the car back in line, knocking my head against the side pillar - quite a bump.

Reply to
RJH

Because if well done, reducing the power so the wheels are only just on the point of slipping produces a faster getaway than spinning them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then in the case of this Fiesta, it's not well done!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Right. Think the normal way is to apply the brake on the 'spinning' wheel first slightly to force the differential to apply more power to the one with the best grip. But if you carry on regardless, cut the power back.

It certainly worked on a wet road with my now gone BMW. But not much helps on ice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the way it's described in the handbook. It seems to me that the reduction in power is too heavy-handed; it was the classic 'running into a brick wall' sensation when it cut in.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ah. The only time it was really apparent on the BMW - an auto - was if you hoofed it out of a side road with a lot of lock on. In the wet. But it still seemed to give a smart enough getway - better than spinning the wheels. Or rather wheel. Under most conditions it never ever cut in.

Real fun was the stability control. Throwing it around a wet roundabout, etc (on a clear road obviously) That did a remarkable job of keeping it on course without requiring much in the way of skill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The switch is a £31 option and easy to fix, apparently.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

IME it 'works' on wet roads, but only starts after the nearside wheel has entered the deeper water, and only takes effect as it leaves the deeper water. Which the Mk 1 eyeball had spotted well in advance.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I have three options on the ST default, sports and off completely

Reply to
steve robinson

My BMW had good enough tyres to allow a full bore takeoff from rest in a straight line even in the wet. The problem was pulling out from a side road etc on lock. Like all RWD cars, far more likely to have traction problems then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or too little power :)

Reply to
MrCheerful

230 bhp. And a much better power to weight ratio than your Jag MkII which was so good at spinning its wheels. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Jag was on narrow crossplies.

The power to weight ratio is almost identical on the two vehicles.

Reply to
MrCheerful

En el artículo , Chris Whelan escribió:

Seeing as his OP was in 2008, it's somewhat unlikely he is reading this thread.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No, the poster with the Qashqai ('loveworm') used a reply to an old thread to ask a new question. That was last Wednesday.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

IME front wheel drive cars with less power are as likely to have problems accelerating from rest whilst turning on damp roads.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

There is a massive difference on my Focus between tyres as far as pulling out of sideroads go. It is staggeringly rare to find the wheels spinning when using Michelin winter tyres, whereas cheapo tyres spin under even normal pullaways while turning, and I have even had the wheels spinning in a straight line at 50 in third on the cheapos. For the last two years I have left the Michelins on all year round.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Maybe, but 'loveworm' wasn't the OP, 'Partac' was.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Not really. BHP in the days of the Jaguar were more ponies than horses. Even before Jaguar exaggerated the figures. MkII Jags may have been fast in their day - but pretty average in modern terms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never said or implied he was.

Chris