Mr.Clutch?

You seem determined to introduce red herrings. I said measuring at the wheel.

And again you're using words that suit you. If you did use the clutch to deliver the full *power* of the engine - ie 200bhp at 5000 rpm or whatever, you'd simply burn up the tyres. The clutch is used to transmit enough torque for the job needed - not power.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You simply can't get your head round the different between engine output and what happens at the driven wheels via the gearbox, can you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Once yuo have hit maximum bhp would you accelerate any more as at that point you can't deliver any more energy , hence why every gear has its maximum deliverable speed

Reply to
steve robinson

????????????????????????

Reply to
steve robinson

Most engines don't hit a brick wall at peak BHP - apart from some diesels, of course. ;-) Most will rev beyond peak BHP. Wether that gives best results depends on the gearbox etc. Where changing up a gear brings you to on the engine's torque curve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glad it's not just me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do know the answer?

To accelerate a car we are increasing its kinetic energy. It takes energy to accelerate a car, and that the rate that energy is applied to the the car is called power.

Do you accept this? Dave can't.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Are you able to answer a simple question posed to you by Peter? The answer is very straightforward.

Do you think snipping the question makes you look any smarter?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Quite, but do you know the answer to Peter's question?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've already answered the point made by Peter. If he wants to discuss it further, fine.

I snip stuff keep posts as brief as possible. You should try doing that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you never read or understand anything?

A BMW 530d is a diesel. A 530i a petrol. The cars don't have the same gear ratios or even weight. Making comparison pointless.

I thought even you understood that a gearbox multiplies torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

It's his Dad should have had the snip...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you agree the relevant engine output is in units of power then I'm happy to leave it there.

To accelerate a car we are increasing its kinetic energy. It takes energy to accelerate a car, and that the rate that energy is applied to the the car is called power.

Do you accept this, even if you don't understand it?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Sigh. Every engine has two figures quoted (as part of when a decent specification is given)

Max torque at an RPM figure Max BHP at an RPM figure.

If the only thing that mattered (as in your little world) was power - ie BHP - that would be the only thing quoted.

It is totally irrelevant like 99% of the things you've written here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never saw your answer: Which one of these have the most acceleration? BMW 530d at 60 mph in 4th, 2315 rpm with 369 Nm (89 Kw) BMW 530d at 60 mph in 3rd, 3300 rpm with 350 Nm (131 Kw).

BMW 530i at 60 mph in 3rd, 3890 rpm with 295 Nm (120 Kw) BMW 530i at 60 mph in 2nd, 5900 rpm with 277 Nm (169 Kw).

I've put back the question you don't know the answer to and trying to avoid.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, thanks. I even understand the question and know the answer. You don't.

Are you now saying a car accelerates more or less depending on whether they are fuelled by diesel or petrol?

Quite, so which is accelerating the most?

Simple question for which there is a simple answer. You don't need to know anything about box ratios, or torque or fuel type. Simple physics and mechanics.

Reply to
Fredxxx

What brought that on? Don't you know the answer to Peter's question either?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Torque is quoted for people like you.

Power determines acceleration, best learn and move on.

It's not irrelevant and you believing it is shows how little you understand of basic classical mechanics.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, its quite common for people not equate kinetic energy with moving objects, and for the rate of change of energy to be power.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I would think the answer to that would be yes if comparing 530 d versus 530i , the vehicles are different weights have a different gearing structure and a different power and torque curve based on the energy released from the differing types of fuel when its combusted at different rpms , petrol engines in theory can run at very high rev's desiels on the other hand would struggle when pushed past 5500 because of the atomisatrion of the fuel

Reply to
steve robinson