Nankang tyres...never head of them!

The message from snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk contains these words:

I had three out of four fail like that (though they didn't get a chance to wear down) on a Fiat 127 many years ago. Took 'em back, got 'em changed for another set of remoulds from a different batch and had no further trouble. I've seen tyres egged like that but only from impact damage.

Reply to
Guy King

I'd not impacted the tyre whilst i was driving the car. Maybe it had happened to the original 'carcass donor'?

Reply to
deadmail

The message from snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk contains these words:

How long ago was it? They're very careful these days not to use damaged carcasses.

Reply to
Guy King

Two problems with that statement, there is no such thing as a *quality* remould and there is absolutely eveything wrong with a *remould* ! You cannot take an old tyre shave it bald and glue some new tread on it, it simply does not work. My company changes more tyres in a week than most people will change in their lifetime, I would rather walk than use remoulds. Even the cheapest budget like Nankang and Champiro are 20 times better than any remould.

Reply to
Mill Autos

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See the problem with your post?

You have a commercial interest in selling people new tyres.

Obviously, you haven't researched the subject fully, as you'll find that Colway manufacture their remoulds in exactly the same way as a new tyre is made - it's just the steel bands that are re-used.

See above - you would say that, as you want to sell new tyres.

Reply to
SteveH

I had a remould delaminate on me once and fling rubber everywhere. The main carcass and belt remain intact though with no real damage - I cannot see that being remoulded made it significantly weaker.

I just don't like the excessive wear I used to get with remoulds.

Reply to
Chris Street

Totaly true I sell people *new* tyres for a living, I dont sell remoulds because they are *old* tyres with new rubber glued to them.

Wrong again if I thought that remoulds were *safe and represented value for money* I would sell them,but I did research the process by which all remoulds are made and decided that they do not offer value for money and are dangerous in high speed use.

as you'll find that

Bollocks! So you are saying that Colway ( or any other remould company ) on use the *steel* in the old casing?

I will only sell tyres that are good value for money and are safe for high speed use, why are remoulds so cheap? because no decent dealer will sell them.

Reply to
Mill Autos

No they're not. You're totally ignorant about this subject. Check the Colway website for further details.

Yes, this is, in fact, what they do.

I see it this way: dealers won't sell them because they're cheap and therefore their profit per tyre is lower than it is for some Eastern European / Chinese budget tyre, which cost pennies at cost price, but demand massive mark-ups.

If you take the time to fully research Colway remoulds you'll find out that they're a quality tyre, manufactured to the same standards as a new one. They're also very popular with rally and race teams, which, IMHO, says a lot for their structural integrity.

Reply to
SteveH

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com saying something like:

Bollocks. I've been using Nankangs and Hankooks on my vans for years. Never found a hedge yet and they last quite well.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No they don't! they use the original carcase of the tyre which includes the rubber, they take an old tyre and shave the tread off..

No you are wrong, the reason I won't sell remoulds is because I have seen so many failures, at the end of the day we get the customer feedback not Colway. I have a live link to the wholesalers running and I cant get anywhere near the Colway prices so I would sell them as a budget if I had no regard to customer's .

Have you ever tried to balance one? you need to nail a battery's worth of lead to either side.

They're also very popular with rally and race teams, which, IMHO,

I do supply Colway for rallying and off road use , but that is not high speed road use.

Reply to
Mill Autos

Four or five years ago.

Reply to
deadmail

The message from "Mill Autos" contains these words:

Lots of smashing assertions in there.

Reply to
Guy King

Sureley though the bands also affect the character (ride / handling) or are all carcasses the same? So you could buy four nice new remoulds and have handling issues.

I'd rather have remoulds than illegal and unsafe tyres, but if I were so skint as to require them I'd probably get them in a winter pattern and buy new tyres ASAP - I've had a remold shed its tread (on a VW Jetta at about 70 on the motorway) the day after it was fitted. Keeping a set of winter tyres hanging around to use for the couple of weeks of snow and ice would be a good idea though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

They're very careful to ensure that batches of tyres use the same carcass, so you don't get a mis-match of tyres so long as you ensure the batches are the same, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

It's what I do for a living, when it comes to tyres I know what I am talking about. Old rubber- Older steel-New glue-New rubber, it just don't work. Rubber has a finite life , the old casing that they use for remoulds is at least a year older than the new rubber that is bonded to it. Until they delaminate you don't normally get to see the core of the tyre, so the user has no idea of the state of there tyres.

Reply to
Mill Autos

You may do it for a living, but you don't actually seem to know the first thing about modern remoulds.

Reply to
SteveH

So you said that it is "only the steel" that is used, so you are telling me that no "old" rubber is used? They actually tease the fine steel structure from the old casing and use it again? Now Google is your friend so prove me wrong! You may work for Colway but lets tell the truth shall we?

Reply to
Mill Autos

It look's like vr are as high as Colway go, most budget tyre s can at least make w .

Mill Autos

Heat treatment is used to remove almost all remnants of old rubber - it's not a simple 'shave and stick' job as you'd have people believe.

You have an interest in selling new tyres to people (margins speak volumes), I'm just a car owner who's done his research.

Unfortunately, the full Colway process is no longer detailed on their website. However, you seem to be stuck in the 70s when it comes to remould technology.

I'm sure, having done the digging around on Google, you can post relevent links to show that remoulds are as simple as sticking a new bit of tread over the old tyre.

Reply to
SteveH

V is about all you need for most road cars in the UK.

I'll ask about budget brand higher-rated tyres next time I need a set. Only there will be nothing 'budget' about the price, and they'll be massively over-specced for any of my cars.

Budget tyres are, IME, lacking in grip at best, and at worst downright dangerous. I'd trust a decent branded remould over a budget any day.

Reply to
SteveH