New tyres back or fronts ?

In my experience without any 'practice' an average driver is unlikely to catch either.

Several times I've seen experienced (but not 'interested') drivers get into under or oversteer. The usual reaction has been to wind more lock on and give it more gas. Which doesn't work for oversteer or understeer...

Reply to
PCPaul

Especially if they're telling you to do left/right rotation.

I read somewhere that those Lexus BMW 3-serieses wear their tyres rather quickly because they do actually scrub them a bit when they're going in a straight line. This results somehow from the fact that they are "set up for sporty handling". The tyres last longer on a sensible car like a Mondeo.

RX-7 of course does have very sporty handling so maybe it's similar to the Lexus in that respect.

Reply to
Ben C

In the absence of any other description, assuming that the OP has a recent mainstream car is not unreasonable.

Look..it's not my pontification. It's manufacturers recommendations.

If you want people to believe you, you'll have to explain that a bit better than saying you're just convinced every tyre manufacturer is wrong.

What goalposts? I've said it's the manufacturers that have come up with this advice and if you disagree, take it up with them!

Reply to
Zathras

Wrong..again.

Reply to
Zathras

Many mercedes models, including the smart cars, I think they are mainstream.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Duncan Wood wrote:>

You don't actually want ancient hardened worn tyres on the back, do you. Another advantage of the new tyres to the back rule is that the rear tyres which might outlast the car in terms of tread wear get used up and thrown before they become dangerous.

Another advantage that is not touched upon is that rear tyre punctures are more common than front (front tyre picks up the nail and rear tyre runs it over) The more tread there is on the rear then the less likely that it will be punctured and hence deflate and cause violent oversteer at the next roundabout.

It took me a while to consider all the angles and info before I agreed with the tyre manufacturers (after a life time of putting best on the front to get the best grip on the steering and braking end)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Eh?

The Smart has wider wheels on the back, which isn't uncommon for RWD cars.

I can't think of any Merc. that has narrower wheels at the driven end of the car.

Reply to
SteveH

sorry I thought we were just talking about cars with different wheels on each axle.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Same for me.

However, the thing I actually noticed was what Michelin said about the traction balance remaining the same - my car feels exactly the same to drive before and after new tyres now (on the back). Previously, with new tyres on the front, the handling difference was quite noticeable and took a short while to get used to.

Reply to
Zathras