Nissan electric car ...expensive?

The problem with ANPR systems is that they detect number plates, rather than cars.

It certainly doesn't have to be every mile, and probably doesn't have to be every road. I suspect most people don't realise just how well the road network is covered by ANPR cameras at the moment.

-- DAS

Reply to
D A Stocks

Not if it's contracted out to the lowest bidder. HP/EDS FTW

The police ignore parking on double yellows right in front of them, even the ones that have obstructed the road forcing them to halt. Having come to a stop they may as well put the lights on, get out and write the ticket.

Reply to
Peter Hill

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: [snip]

It would require doubling current installed capacity. And to make sense all of the load would have to be supplied by nukes. The people who like EVs don't like nukes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You would.

Oh indeed, however we also need to take care to not throw common sense and objectivity out of the window.

It's not a done deal, or even close to it. EVs and hybrids don't achieve as much as their proponents claim. A really good hybrid still can't equal a diesel and the best EVs claim the equivalent of 120mpg provided that you drive them like a pussy.

The best of breed are of course made using unobtanium ingredients and as time goes by and demand rises those materials are going to hit amusingly high prices, because if you think the supply of oil is limited then you really haven't thought about lithium, cobalt, cadmium and neodymium.

Not to me. I'd rather have a vehicle fuelled with fuel than can be refilled in five minutes or so when necessary and that has a 600 mile range.

I really wonder about your driving style. I used to get close to 60mpg from the previous generation ST TDCi Mondeo. I wonder if your joy with the Pious is based on the fact that it compensates for the lead footed driver. Regenerative braking and electric assist on acceleration tend to do that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I just put it down to diesels being largely shit for anyone who wants to make progress.

To put it into perspective, when I used the 156 Sillyspeed as my car, I was getting within 1mpg of what this Mondeo is turning in, and I get a few mpg more out of the Golf - with a petrol engine and DSG box.

Reply to
SteveH

No, ANPR in conjunction with a SatNav box and a system which flags up significant mis-matches. Makes it more difficult to get away with fake numberplates.

I think the Singapore system has a mileage counter box in the car which radios the figure out to distributed receivers.

Reply to
Newshound

You need to try a BMW one. Neighbour has a 535d which is extremely fast - and is an auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't doubt it is - but I bet it will only turn in mid-30s MPG at best if you use the performance.

I haven't found any diesel yet which comes even remotely close to the claimed MPG figures.

Reply to
SteveH

Of course. Energy is never free. But it is remarkably economical when driven at normal speeds.

It just reinforces the battery car debate. You only get the range when driven very gently. Drive one normally and it plummets. And the quoted range is always the maximum possible by a skilled careful driver. Then, of course, for much of the year you'd need heating or cooling. Which takes a lot of power too - and doesn't cease being needed when the car is stopped in traffic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ANPR mainly uses infra red? How does it get on with heated number plates?

Motion blur is an issue for image capture. Any laws against rubber mounting number plates so they vibrate in motion? It's secure but not rigid.

Unless they can work out how to retro fit a dedicated mileage counter to a car with a simple reed switch speedo sensor I can fit a /2 /4 /8 circuit before it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thing is, EVs are perfect for a large proportion of people who commute by car from suburbs into town / city centres. Or for the school run.

These kind of jouneys are where diesels are at their worst - short journeys, never getting properly warmed up. Petrols aren't much better - unless combined with hybrid tech.

I do find the objections to the move to EV and hybrid astonishing - as hybrids, in particular are delivering some astonishing performance figures from relatively economical packages.

Reply to
SteveH

As purely town cars, yes. But a very expensive solution for a little use car.

Diesels don't have the same high fuel consumption when cold as a petrol engine. It's maybe because of this they take much longer to heat up.

But they don't. If you restrict a diesel to the same sort of performance, there's very little in it. Indeed there are several that better the Prius in town MPG. For a lot less initial cost.

The 'Chelsea Tractor' hybrids do have very good MPG compared to other Chelsea Tractors. But that ain't difficult to do, as they are a very different vehicle that can neither tow or go off road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Diesels are bloody awful crawling around town on short journeys. They only come into their own at gentle cruising speeds.

I'm 10mpg worse off in a 2.0TDCI Auto than in a Prius. That's in my average use which doesn't take in a lot of city traffic.

Not just those - BMW and Porsche have been working on mid-sized and sports cars which turn in performance of an engine 50% bigger, but with much improved economy.

Then you have the Lexus LS600h. More performance and refinement than a

730d with very similar economy.
Reply to
SteveH

That would be why taxis and buses use petrol engines?

Petrol engines are only at their best at (near) peak output due to pumping losses. Which a diesel doesn't suffer from.

I've been driving a small(ish) diesel around town recently and it's amazingly good mpg wise on short journeys - even although it takes ages for the heater to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steve Firth

They only work if you drive to make them work in cars - hence taxi drivers sticking it in top at 10mph.

(And that's the issue - you can either drive for economy or drive to make progress - if you do the latter, the diesel is barely more economical than a petrol)

Commercial vehicles are entirely different - they use diesel for the torque.

My experience of 1.6 diesels is that they're too big to make sense as a city car, but too gutless to make sense on the open road.

I'd go back to hybrid tomorrow if I could - the efficiency and refinement is miles ahead of anything similarly sized.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes, and?

I trust you're going to switch off all your electricity, gas, and refuse to drive a car from now on, as all of those are damaging to the environment - especially as coal, oil and gas become more and more difficult to extract.

I do love the way anti-hybrid / EV types are just as blinkered as the eco warriers the profess to hate - you're both as bad as each other, it's just that you have differing personal concerns.

Reply to
SteveH

It's the deep discharge that shortens the life of the battery. Limit the level of discharge and the battery will last longer. How much longer depends on the design of the battery, it's exact chemistry and the duty cycles applied to the battery. Dave

Reply to
snot

To the "greens" it's not just mpg it's also emissions, pollutants and CO/CO2. Some older engines might be as or more economical but chuck out a lot more nasties out of the exhaust pipe. Dave

Reply to
snot

1.6TD 51mpg (46mpg in fuel energy equivalence to petrol), 1.6 petrol, 34mpg. I say you're wrong.

... someone else that doesn't understand torque.

...until you try the 1.6 petrol versions of such cars.

Reply to
dr6092