Nissan micra circa 1995 (N plate) ignition system

Hi,

I have not looked under the bonnet. The car started and quickly stalled in wet weather, I just need to know its basic setup to give some advice. I may not get a chance to look under the bonnet.

Can anyone tell me what is the likely ignition system in a Nissan Micra on an N plate (does that make it circa 1995?). Is it conventional (i.e. old fashioned) coil, distributor and fat cables (leads) joining up coil to distributor and to sparking plugs or is it the more modern stuff of coils on sparking plugs and thin(ner) cables?

According to the owner it does not like wet weather :-)

I need to give the owner some pointers (i.e. a proper service). I think the problem is electrical but automatic choke and carburettor come to mind ... so I only want to give pointers (like get it serviced or buy a new car) :-)

TIA Charles

Reply to
Charles C

the ignition system is old style. so general check, clean and spray. No carb, no auto choke - injection system is computer controlled. there is a very common problem with faulty soldering in the throttle valve assembly. google it or try here first:

Mrcheerful

MrCheerful has given you the answer, but if you want to get rid and are anywhere near Kent let me know! :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Sorry :-( It has been running today ... it was flooded the other day and Green Flag came out I believe and removed the fuse for the fuel pump etc etc etc.

Thanks for all the tips.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

They're easily confused when cold. You don't want to run it for a few seconds from cold, switch it off, then try to start it immediately; they don' loike it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot