Oil and filter change

Google DILLIGAF, then try "they".

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I suspect it is more to do with stopping people putting a 19mm spanner on it when installing the filter, and torquing the filter up to 60Nm, when the instructions on the filter say something like, 'tighten till it starts to grip, plus another 1/4 of a turn'

Reply to
Harry Stottle

But they could put on the 'one way' screwdriver type slot (but much larger) that some filters used to have to undo them with, I haven't seen one for years. The best filter removal tool to use is a dedicated size cup wrench (like a giant shallow socket) In general I use either a thing like a chain wrench with 4 strips of metal with serrated teeth (car shops sell them) or the oil filter pliers that screwfix sell. Other types I use less often are the three finger thing that tightens as it grips, a belt wrench (useful on things with very limited room around the filter) or a chain wrench. New mini is fun to get the filter off, but it has a 36mm nut on the end to help.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Agreed - £1 in a pound shop and I didn't really expect it surviving its first use. I usually use a chain type which is a bit awkward to get it to get its initial grip on an oil covered filter. The £1 strap tightens first, before it attempts to turn the filter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Use the strap wrench as others have recommended. Use rubber gloves. Fill the filter with oil and smear oil along the O-ring. Take old oil to recycling centres.

Reply to
johannes

Yes I've seen it done that way. Presumably to save time. Cheap & nasty!

Reply to
johannes

Thats what the filter is for?

Reply to
Blah

I don't know of any place that uses 0W30 for oil changes unless you specifically ask for it as it's usually fully synthetic and costs a shitload.

Reply to
Conor

On 10-May-09 14:13:27, Ian Dalziel said

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bit of an anticlimax really. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

So my thinking is, the operation is perhaps the most important one for your car's engine - do I want to trust people who are in a hurry to do something that I could do, more slowly - but with love and care? :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

I let my VW 2.4D Transporter go for up to 2 years before changing the oil if I'm not up to the mileage. Like you, I use it infrequently, but for long distance most times.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

All K&N filters have a nut welded on:

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Well I don't actually know what they did put in it. It was 1998.

As you say once you actually specify what oil they have to use instead of whatever they have in bulk then it costs.

Reply to
Peter Hill

If you do your own servicing simply tighten up as per the instructions - it can then be removed easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Done up by hand a filter is hard to get off again a year later, it will always need more than hand pressure to remove. So some form of tool will be needed to increase the effort.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

0w30 was certainly not comon in 1998 and would have been extremely expensive, it was 50 quid a gallon about 6 years ago.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

My foolish mistake was to read the instructions on my chain wrench (which were incorrect), and by turning clockwise carefully tighten the filter extremely tight. Various rising stages of anxiety ensued... and the filter was punctured so I couldn't drive anywhere. The screwdriver through it had the corned beef effect, but I didn't push it all the way through. It culminated in a trip on the bus to buy a claw wrench. Which still didn't work.

As a last ditch attempt I hit the screw-end with a hammer and chisel. And evidently that was enough of a kick to break the seal... came off easily in the claw wrench after that.

Life is never simple...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Oh dear!

I couldn't get the filter off. I had a wrench I bought from Halfords, but still it was stuck. Not a great deal of room to move under the car.

I probably shouldn't have drained the oil first before I got the filter off - but then again I've always done it that way.

So, I had no choice but to put new oil in with the old, slightly dented filter.

I'll have to get the filter off somehow. But how?

Reply to
Hiram

well when the going gets tough, using a screwdriver through the case first, if that won't do then tear off the remains of the filter, the bit that is still screwed on has holes that you can lever or hammer against to start it turning. This is a very messy job. Alternately get a mechanic to do it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cic.

Reply to