Oil leak.

That'll be the oil filter head.

Eh? This talk of things has completely lost me. Any chance off some pics, or could somebody who knows what he's on about tell me what the f*** he's on about?

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Hi all,

My '94 1.8 petrol Golf has recently started dropping a bit of oil, and it never used to.

I've had a careful look, and it seems to be originating near the top side of the thing that the oil filter is screwed to the underside of.

This "thing" has two cables with rubber covers that connect to the top, and the one at the back seemed to have the rubber cover slightly off. I pulled it completely off, and some more oil ran out! Is this the source, or was the oil just thrown up there from elsewhere?

This rear connection on the "thing" has a white plastic base, whereas the one at the front is black, in case that suggests anything.

The other thing is that I had a problem just befoe this started where the last cylinder was not firing. It turned out to be a split hose, but in our investigation to find the problem, we removed the rocker cover. I initially though this was where my oil leak was coming from, and we fitted a new gasket, but it seems to be actually coming from the location near the oil filter described above.

Any thoughts?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

I've seen the oil cooler that the oil filter screws on to leak from it's joint on to the block. The seal is like the oil filter seal, I remember using an old oil filter seal to repair it on some vw Audi vehicle.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

If it's anything like the MK2 GTi, the oil filter screws into the oil cooler, which has sensors for things like oil pressure / temp / water temp.

Reply to
doki

On 22-Jun-05 22:29:49, doki said

Thanks to all for the info. To clarify, on top of the circular thing that the oil filter attaches to, are two protrusions which wires are connected to. The larger one is at the back, and with the connector pulled off it, and my wife starting the engine I could instantly see oil emerging through the clip that the connector attaches to.

Its not this connector that controls the oil light on the dash, because it was only after disconnecting the _front_ connector (which appears to be fine) that the light started flashing - if that makes sense?

Anyway, I'll try asking at the garage what this part actually is, thanks for your help.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Oil or water temperature.

Reply to
doki

On 22-Jun-05 22:09:48, Angus McCoatup© said

Thanks again gents, it was the probe thingy at the back, on top of the thing that the oil filter connects too. A replacement has sorted it, and I only sustained minor hot-engine burns to my hand. :)