Oil Specs?

Without being flippant, what does than mean in real terms? The car I was buying the expensive oil for (about £40) was a Smart For Two, compared to other 5/30W which was about £30 which was specified for a Honda CRV and I also used (as specified) in my MX5 (1.8i), both of which I would think were more demanding engines in terms of performance. As it happens, I used the more expensive oil, an extra £10 / year is peanuts - I was just curious. I suppose, as much as anything, I'm wondering if the oil is really that more expensive to make or just sold at an inflated price as it is labeled for Mercs/BMWs etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

By buying a (newish) Merc or Beemer in the UK you already reveal to the supplier that you are less price sensitive than many. A bit like Apple users. I always used to find it interesting a few decades ago that not only in Germany but also many places further south and east Mercs were the car of choice for taxi drivers (the reason being obvious).

Reply to
newshound

Exactly, although in this case the Merc is actually a Smart Car ;-), bought specifically as it is ideal for popping on a trailer to tow behind a motorhome. (We looked a Merc 4x4 hybrid when looking for a hybrid about a year ago, they were 2x the price of the Outlander and you weren't getting 2x the value as far as we could see. )

I actually rather like the Smart Car. It is fun to drive, comfortable enough for shorter trips- I'd not like to do, say, 150 miles in one, but ideal for what we bought it for.

Reply to
Brian Reay