Old Passat gearchange trouble

My missus's old F reg 1.8 Passat estate has got an annoying problem whereby it's become a struggle to get it into 2nd gear. I had a run in it today and I kept going from 1st to 4th. Had to really feel around to find the slot for 2nd.

Is this a common problem with old Passats or old cars in general ? Manual gearboxes are not my forte - i've been automatic only since 1981.

Any ideas/advice on what the cause may be and how to fix it, are appreciated. Is it a DIY job or shall I visit my friendly local garage ?

Cheers

-- JB

Reply to
JohnB

In article , JohnB writes

Have a quick look at the selector mechanism under the gearstick boot; there is circlip which hold a white nylon bush in place. If the circlip is broken or has slipped off it can give uncertain gear changes.

Reply to
Chris Holford