OT: Advice on buying young High Mileage Mondeo

Hello All

We need a new car and at the local Ford Dealers we saw a June 2006 Mondeo Edge 2.0 Petrol for £5995, it has a full service history - problem is that it has racked up over 42000 miles in a little over a year. The dealers computer showed that they aquired the vehicle in September last year (although he tried to imply that that was a typo) so its been on their books over a year without a buyer. The RAC check i did online would appear to confirm this as the mileage is the same as recorded last year.

The car is an ex-taxi and the dealer was at least honest enough to tell me this and they are offering a years warranty on it. I dont know the best course of action to take, the car looks tidy enough but should i run a mile or risk problems in a few years?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Reply to
MattF

That's not high mileage for one of those.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I bought a 2004 plate with 101,000 miles on. Looks and drives like new.=20 These cars are capable of serious mileage.

They're offering a 12 month warranty which they woudln't if they were=20 unsure of it.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

The only question I would have is what sort of taxi company runs petrol vehicles? Certainly none around here.

The milage is a non-issue.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris, It seems strange - particularly a 2.0L - but there is a little aerial stub left over at the rear of the roof so its been used for something non standard.

Matthew

Reply to
MattF

Something doesn't ring true.. a taxi in petrol.. vary rare nowadays...

As with all the others, the mileage is nothing much to worry about, but, as mondeo's are very common, (esp pov spec ones).. I'd be inclined to walk/run away from anything that seems "odd"...

Just my views..

LL

loopy livernose

"MattF" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

42k at 36mpg is 1170 gallons, at £1/litre is £5k. 42k at 46mpg is 913 gallons, at £1/litre is £4,100.

So the difference in fuel cost over that year was £900.

D'you reckon they saved a grand by taking a _thoroughly_ undesirable spec car, about to be replaced, from stock? Compared to a diesel which would have still been the standard repmobile order?

I do, even with the trade-in value.

Hell, the difference in value between a 1yo/42k car and a 2yo/42k car probably isn't that much - so the dealer's probably only really lost the stocking costs by having it sat about.

Reply to
Adrian

If the trim is in good nick and the price and service history right go for it. 42k is nothing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

WEe have an 04 Mondeo at work and I drove it today. 165k on the clock and felt really tight and nippy. Its a Diesel though> It has been regularly serviced and valeted weekly so in really good nick

Reply to
Brian G

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, Just make sure it has a full service history.

40K in that amount of time suggests a fair number of motorway miles - not a bad thing as it should mean the engine has spent a good deal of time at normal operating temperatures, definitely preferable to a car that has done 40K over say 10 years (i.e. lots of short journeys and rarely properly warmed up).

Looking at autotrader, the price doesn't seem to be that special (there is a 2006/06 2.0 Zetec Saloon with 17K miles listed for =A35990 ), as for the warranty I'm guessing that it will still be covered by the original Ford warranty so the offer from the dealer is not that great either.

Reply to
dilbert4u_uk

Why would you buy a Mondeo that has been thrashed by a taxi driver though? My neighbor is a taxi driver with a mondeo and readily admits that he thashes the pants off it.

Reply to
mr p

In the UK, 60% of all new cars are owned by someone other than the driver. It would not be unreasonable to assume a much higher figure for a car like the Mondeo.

The chances of buying a used car that hasn't been driven pretty hard in its early life are very slim...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Indeed, thats one of the reasons for the massive depreciation on Mondys - all the fleet users dump them after a year flooding the 2nd hand market.

Matthew

Reply to
MattF

Be very careful. Think what people do on or in the back seat of taxis. Will you ever get the smell out?

I've owned one ex-taxi, out of around 75 cars over the years. About my worst ever buy.

Reply to
Kevin Poole