OT: Breathalysers

To simply say "don't drink and drive" doesn't address the "morning after" problem. I'll bet many folk who repeat this mantra may have been significantly affected the next morning when they have driven.

I just want to find out whether my current practice which I consider acceptably safe brings me anywhere near the new lower limits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That needs a glass!

Reply to
ARW

I think the problem may be that the ones the police use at the roadside are not that accurate and hence the second test at the police station with calibrated equipment.

I had one when a single long blow into it would light one of 5 LEDs. My verdict very unreliable - just a toy.

To add to the debate the highest number drivers over the limit are the "school mums" picking up their kids after a lunch with wine. That's why you see so much bad driving and parking outside schools at that time of day.

Reply to
alan_m

Standard drink? Beer comes in various strengths. Other drinks will only be metered if you are drinking in a pub. Most alcohol is consumed in the home where the measures are likely to be somewhat variable.

Reply to
alan_m

I would presume that the NF approved ones that you are required to carry when driving in France* have to meet a standard of some sort.

  • French law requires you to carry one in the car, but there is no mechanism for penalising you if you don't.
Reply to
Nightjar

Bollocks. The reason you see such bad driving/parking outside schools (both morning and evening) is simply because its a load of women drivers and has nothing to do with alcohol.

Reply to
ARW

Astonished you don't have dennis killfiled. Everything he posts is useless.

Reply to
Huge

If you want a holier-than-thou reply, you can always count on Dennis.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It is also accurate, no device available to the general public is accurate enough to give a good indication, even the police roadside hand held units are not deemed safe to gaurentee an accurate reading, hence the reason they take you to the police station and test you there, again they take two readings, the lower being the onethey use for prosecution .

Reply to
steve robinson

I wonder if it's more about what sort of 'driving' such people typically do (all ages and sexes)?

It seems to me you have people who will, can and do drive anywhere, any distance at any time, including country lanes (at night) and the motorways (at full motorway speeds) and those who only really use their cars for very basic roles and often only in urban environments. This includes taking the kids 1 mile to school or driving 2 miles to the shops (to park diagonally across two bays) or their friends (to park between other cars taking up two spaces). And that is all the driving they ever do and so to them 30 mph seems fast (and hence why they always seem to go no faster than 25) and don't seem to have with that 'getting on with it' style that comes from driving large distances, in all conditions and at 'getting on with it' (making good progress) speeds?

They do all those inconsiderate things because they aren't 'drivers' and simply aren't interested in anything outside what they have to do?

Unfortunately, some may never get a chance to improve their skills as their partner will generally do all the main driving.

Whilst my Mrs has driven (and ridden her 750cc motorcycle) to all sorts of places over many years yet she's probably not as confident a driver as me (going though gaps, getting out into busy traffic, traveling long distances / motorways etc). This is especially so in the dark or on 'unknown' roads and so she would rather I drove under those circumstances. She can (and will) drive, just prefers not to if possible.

Bringing this back on topic, we often have the dilemma when I might have had one beer (she doesn't really drink) and would prefer not to drive (even if well under 'the limit') but she might consider that (under the circumstances) I might still be a 'better' driver (not suggesting I'm a 'great' driver either etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Your evidence for this assertion? I have no intention of using it at the roadside and it only needs to be "good enough" to give me a guide to my clearance rate.

"What Car" don't seem to agree with you about accuracy.

Some personal experience would be useful though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nor does the concept of "absolute safeness" really exist. I could almost certainly drive more safely (but illegally) after 3 pints of beer in an hour than my mother can legally drive stone cold sober.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

To be fair Brian Gaff could probably parallel park a car better than my Mother

Reply to
ARW

Where's the fecking "like" button? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On Facebook.

Where it belongs...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or just wrong!

Reply to
ARW

Bollocks to "women drivers", men do the school run as well and TBH they tend to worse than the women. The problem is that parents/kids seem to have lost the use of their legs and an extra 10 yards from a parking place instead of the zig-zags is just too far to walk.

An extension to that is kids driven 1/2 a mile to school when the walk is 1/4 mile. Odd that these kids also tend to be of the "rounder" stature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just a boy racer from the crossposted from petrol head place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fuck off. Women cannot park or drive properly:-)

I have worked at enough schools and driven enough roads to know that it the women drivers that are shit.

Reply to
ARW

They park on the zig-zags because they are still pissed from the night before or from the lunch time glass or two of wine binge drinking.

Reply to
alan_m