OT: Breathalysers

we had a near neighbour who was head at an infant school less than 100 yards away. She drove her husband's prized MG B there and back. "The Headmistress cannot be seen arriving on foot!"

Reply to
charles

That's just the fat lazy ones.

Reply to
ARW

And like the ones who park outside the door of the Co-op when there is a car park right next to the Co-op and it normally has spaces. Some twonk had parked half across the entrance to car park this morning. Delivery wagon was waiting for it to shift so it could make a delivery. Car was there when I came into town and still there when I left a good 20 minutes later.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you not get Charles (from the speedwatch thread) to organize a party of hi viz wearing wanker friends to take the reg numbers of the offending vehicle.

Reply to
ARW

That isn't true here.

Problem with that theory is that its even worse first thing in the morning.

Reply to
Rod Speed

alan_m wrote

That is why the concept of a standard drink was invented, to allow for that. Commercial pre packaged beer is labelled with how many standard drinks they amount to in some jurisdictions. A 330ml small bottle of Hahn Super Dry is

1.2 standard drinks. Not that I think there is anything special about that beer, one of my neighbours was caught short with when some visitors showed up and borrowed a 6 pack of mine and replaced what he had borrowed from me with that. Mine leaves it for dead.

That doesn?t need to be true if you do want to ensure that you don?t accidentally consume more than you thought.

Not with commercial beer. Even with wine, it isn't hard to measure what size the glasses you use are and many jurisdictions label the bottles with the alcoholic content. Same with spirits and its completely trivial to meter that if you want to too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I thought it was stationary

Reply to
charles

Not for his requirement of seeing how close he is to the legal limit.

But if what you use is as accurate as the police roadside hand held units and measure the same way, they will ensure that you don?t get taken to the police station if you happen to be tested in your car.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If I have two pints it screws up my blood sugar and that makes it far more dangerous. There are a million or two undiagnosed diabetics out there that can suffer the same problem, some of those drink.

Reply to
dennis

How do you get stopped and anything with the police? You would think that after 40 years driving there is some chance of it happening.

Reply to
dennis

Hilarious.

Reply to
bm

I dilute the cider with guiness too.

Reply to
dennis

They just can't drive and have bought cars too big for their abilities because they are safer.

Reply to
dennis

There was nothing holier than thou about it just pointing out that it is a useless exercise. I could also point out that the rate of absorption depends on what you have eaten, what you have drunk, what health you are in, the time of day, what activity you are doing, etc., etc. and the rate of getting rid of it depends on the same plus what the weather is doing. Once you work that out then you can see why the only thing you can do is test for that occasion and not try and predict it.

Reply to
dennis

Dennis@home wrote

But it isn't a useless exercise if you are prepared to pay the silly price that the AlcoDigital 3000 costs.

Or patronise a pub that has chosen to have one of those.

And the way to deal with that is to use a reliable accurate breathalyser to check what has actually happened before you get in the car.

That is wrong too. You can also err on the safe side and don?t attempt to guess if your system has done better than normal at burning off the alcohol you have consumed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You mean legal limits. Safe limit is easily determined by what you feel like. I can easily tell if I'm in control of what I'm doing. They should replace this silly percentage shit with a sobriety test like they (used to?) do in America, which would test what you are capable of, not what the average person is capable of.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You can feel the effects of one pint? I wish I was you, it would be a damn sight cheaper for me to get drunk.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you at this point?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That doesn't help if you are still absorbing the alcohol you drank an hour ago.

Reply to
dennis

Did you read his post? Can you explain the point where there is any attempt to gain sympathy?

You're not coming over as a very nice person.

Reply to
Fredxxx