OT: Breathalysers

Not sure you are right there. Your mum knows her limitations and drive accordingly. A drunk don't know his/her limitations.

Reply to
johannes

Someone who has three pints of beer is a "drunk"?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Drunk in a very general sense. Americans use a better term: "On the influence".

Reply to
johannes

In terms of being in charge of a motor vehicle, - most definitely.

Reply to
Gordon H

And where is this term "a drunk" defined in terms of being in charge of a motor vehicle? This same definition covers "not knowing his limitations" does it?

Sanctimonious balderdash. There's a huge gap between being over the alcohol limit for driving and being an alcoholic.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Road Traffic Act 1988 s11 Road Traffic Act 1988 (Prescribed Limit) (Scotland) Regulations 2014 reg2

I'm not entirely sure that "a drunk" and "an alcoholic" are synonymous.

Reply to
Adrian

Grow up.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Does either of those use the term?

(Rhetorical question - I'm not ploughing through them, but i'll bet a fiver they don't)

No, but "a drunk" implies a hell of a lot more than someone who's just drunk three pints of beer - which is what the thread was about.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Were we discussing alcoholism? I think that anyone who gets in a car to drive after 3 pints nowadays deserves to lose his or her licence.

Yes, I did it a couple of times after 4 pints 50 years ago, but there was much less traffic on the roads, and no legal limit, you had to be caught driving badly to be nicked.

Reply to
Gordon H

That's my feeling about it, but getting back on topic it's a very bad idea to use a personal breathalyser to make you feel safe to drive after alcohol.

Reply to
Gordon H

Interesting. Just how did you divine this snippet of nonsense?

A bit like my mum really.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Who said anything about safe? The question is about one's legality to drive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not sure you are.

Plenty don?t, particularly with parking.

Some do and drive accordingly, sometimes much slower than usual, which sees them get caught doing that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The original question used the word "safe".

Reply to
Adrian

No, but they most certainly do define the maximum amount of alcohol allowed for being in charge of a motor vehicle.

The Oxford dictionary defines "drunk" (adj) as "affected by alcohol to the extent of losing control of one?s faculties or behaviour", which doesn't seem a million miles away from the reason for having a maximum amount of alcohol allowable for being in charge of a motor vehicle...

The definition of "a drunk" (n) is "a person who is drunk". So, if "drunk", in the context, means somebody with too much alcohol on board to be allowed to drive legally, then that person must be "a drunk". Right...?

Reply to
Adrian

And of course there's the matter of getting into "someone else's accident and the other driver hasn't been drinking...

Reply to
Gordon H

And how many 'barely legal' drivers do we want on the road.

Reply to
Gordon H

Well, no. It does seem a million miles away to me.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Three pints in an hour was the statement. That would put most people over the limit. Marginally over. I certainly wouldn't drive after that. But I wouldn't call myself "a drunk" after that, nor would I fail to know my limitations.

And the time is important. Three pints in four or five hours wouldn't get you anywhere near the legal limit.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I suspect it would put me well over (although I don't actually know). I certainly wouldn't choose to drive and I know my judgement would be very significantly impaired at that level.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+