OT gooseneck microphone

Hi, I really thought there would be an easy solution out their in the automotive world, but drew a blank.

There are gooseneck microphones that are basically built on a continuous coil of metal, that can be bent and twisted into the desired posistion.

I have one where the coil is fractured. I thought there might be some sort of split collar thingy I could splice the two halves together, maybe brake pipe type things. This is a small one, maybe 4mm diameter.

It has to be a split assembly because the microphone at the end of the gooseneck is not removable, nor is the base where it joins a metal frame, so you can't slip any kind of tube onto the assembly, it has to be a two part jobby.

I was thinking there must be some method of splicing two flexible tubes together.

Inside the twisted "tubing" is fine wires to the microphones, so heat is not an option.

This is the actual unit, there is a main spar, and you see the two microphones extending outwards, to be bent as required.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

A short spring on the outside? Example

A spring with, say, 6 turns. Open up the first turn (or buy a spring with 8 turns and cut off closed turn at either end). By extending the spring wind half the spring on one side of the break and the other half on the other side of the break. If the tuns on the spring are a shorter pith than the groves in the gooseneck the tension in the spring will force the break together.

For a fiver on Ebay you can find a set of 200 mixed size/type springs some of which may suit this type of repair better than others.

Reply to
alan_m

I *really* like that idea. The other thing I would add is an over-winding with stretched PVC electrical tape, to bind the lot together. In fact even if you can't find a suitable spring, a bit of plastic tubing of the right bore, split to fit over the gooseneck, and then bound with tape giving a short "rigid" section might also do the job.

Also, there is that sort of plastic strip formed into a helix which is used to bind together separate wires in cabinets, behind desks, and so forth. That could also be reinforced with PVC tape after fitting.

Reply to
newshound

...If the turns on the spring are a shorter pitch........

Reply to
alan_m

I *really* like that idea. The other thing I would add is an over-winding with stretched PVC electrical tape, to bind the lot together. In fact even if you can't find a suitable spring, a bit of plastic tubing of the right bore, split to fit over the gooseneck, and then bound with tape giving a short "rigid" section might also do the job.

I'm really liking that idea too.

Thanks!

Gareth.

Reply to