OT slightly Roadside ASKMID service

Just announced:

If you have an accident and you have a smart phone, you can check and obtain details of the other party's insurance and contact info. directly at the roadside. details here:

Mrcheerful

Hmm. Still £4 and not going to be all that quick entering all the details on a smartphone. Would be much better if they let you "sign up" and give card details, etc, then just log in and give the other car number.

Reply to
newshound

I just tried it , no charge, just an email address, and two reg numbers, not very arduous even for me, although I was using a tablet as I don't have a smartphone. The answer came up instantly on screen, yet the email copy has not yet appeared.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I wonder if you could use the service even if you were not involved in the accident. We haven't had many really cold mornings in our part of the country yet but the road surface was a little slippery the other morning at about 5.30. A car came up very fast from behind and proceeded to tailgate,the missus was driving and pulled over to let the car past rather than worry about being hassled and the tailgater accelerated away their progress marked by frequent appearances of the brake lights. Poetic justice was done about a mile later when the car failed to negotiate a bend and got embedded in a hedge fortunately missing an electric pole by about 2ft. The driver was not the expected youngish youth but a 30 something woman who appeared unharmed as got out of the car. Enquires asking if she was OK got a brusque response and she didn't even look up from her phone. I was so sorely tempted to jot down her reg number and try to find her insurance company and tell them that whatever she put on the claim form the main reason for the accident was driving like an idiot.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It tells you the insurance company and their phone number/address, so you could report your info. direct to them.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This country becomes more like the old USSR every day ! :-{

Reply to
Andy Cap

Oh, that's alright then. Must bookmark it on my phone.

Reply to
newshound

Where, of course, almost everyone seems to have a dashboard camera these days!

And whilst I am not particularly inclined to "shop" idiots, even if they have comp insurance they still push up the rates for the rest of us.

Reply to
newshound

The USSR was a haven of freedom compared with the GDR.

Reply to
SteveH

True. For anyone who hasn't seen it !

Andy Cap

It always amazes me the risk motorists that are willing to take, just to get a few seconds advantage.

Reply to
johannes

I really do not understand how this can be of any possible use to any other than Big Brother. It will do nothing to ease any process and serves to populate databases which gives rise to the further massaging of statistics. Just my 2d worth. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

it only confirms the insurance company and how to contact them. both details have to be provided by the other party in the average crash. this service just confirms that they are not lying about having insurance or who it is with. I guess that there must be a substantial number of crashes where people lie about their insurance.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No way of proving there and then the registration and insurance is for the vehicle involved in the accident.

So pointless if the vehicle is cloned and only one of the clones is insured, similarly with stolen / fake plates.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Wow!

You have to be impressed at the evasive action which some of the drivers managed, though. Also at the young lad (apparently unbelted) escaping through the windscreen.

Reply to
newshound

Pretty much anything's pointless in that situation.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A few photos so the police know who to look for and can have them for

2nds on "anything else that should be taken into consideration" when they catch them for something else.
Reply to
Peter Hill