OT: What does "V car" mean ?

Hi All

I've been browsing Autotrader and I've seen a couple of cars the say that they're on a 'V car', does anyone know what this means ?

Rgds

Rory...

Reply to
Rorym

"Andy Tucker" wrote

Cheers Andy, but what does this mean when you come to insure such a car ?

Rgds

Rory...

Reply to
Rorym

I'm not sure of the exact implications, but I remember hearing that it's something that you HAVE to declare to your insurer, and that most likely there will be a loading on your premium (I suppose it depends on the insurer though)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Yes. Some companies will refuse to insure a car if you tell them it's been a total write off. It can be rather unfair as insurance companies will call a

10 year old car virtually any accident damage a write off.

It is I believe possible to get an inspection after the repairs but it costs money that you wouldn't spend on an old car.

Reply to
DP

They do differentiate between write off for economic reasons (too expensive to repair) and write off because damage too serious.

I once had a 10 year old van written off when the repairs where £200! Needless to say I bought the write-off, repaired it myself and kept the van.

Reply to
Alan