Paging the auto electrickery wizards

The airbag light on my Laguna is still lit. Switch on, light comes on, goes off for a few seconds then comes back on and stays on.

On my earlier posting about this, Adrian suggested I check the wiring for the seatbelt pretensioners. I duly looked under the drivers seat and found a broken wire. Hooray, thinks I. I sorted that, switched on ignition and got the same performance. But now I saw that my seatbelt warning light was back on! Hadn't noticed it had gone out.

Now, I have been told that the airbag ECU will have detected a fault due to this broken wire. This fault will now be resident in memory and will need to be cleared by disconnecting the ECU for a minute or so and plugging it back in. Sounds reasonable to me.

I was also given dire warnings of not to play with anything else or waggle wires or the airbag could off. The HBOL also has its usual modern spiel of return to dealer.

So what does the panel think?

Reply to
gazzafield

Usual trick on most cars is remove the -ve lead from the battery for 20 mins, or overnight. This will reset most things (some cars have difficulty starting afterwards, most modern ones should be ok).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

List your make model and year of manufacture and I'll have a shuftie to see if there's any way of resetting it.

Reply to
Conor

It's a Renault Laguna 1997 "R" Reg.

Reply to
gazzafield

Just had a look on Autodata. Everything regarding reading fault codes and doing resets etc has to be done with a hook up to diagnostic equipment using either the plug in the engine bay (earlier model) or the one behind the ashtray? in the centre console in front of the gearstick.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks Conor. Fuggin French.

Reply to
gazzafield

Find a local auto electrician, it will but much cheaper than main dealer. I use a guy who works mobile from a tranny van, he came to me twice (first to diagnose, second to clear the fault code after repair), spent about an hour working om my car, and this at about 10pm, and only charged me £30.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Pull the battery, have a cuppa, then put it back on.

Reply to
Adrian

I bet you live hundreds of miles from me though.

Reply to
gazzafield

Maybe, but I bet you can still find a good local guy if you try.

Reply to
Chris Bolus