Resetting service warning lights

If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!
Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008 Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.
Chris wrote:

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars, but I have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.
You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...
On 27/04/2018 20:57, Andy Burns wrote:

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will be serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't deploy. Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem if it exists.
It would also be illegal to drive the car in the UK AIUI as it wouldn't legally pass an MOT.
On 27/04/2018 21:37, dennis@home wrote:

Many don't deploy for any number of reasons.

Can you cite the statute?

Again, construction and use is a separate consideration to the MOT. Can you cite the statute that makes it illegal to drive a car with the air-bag light disabled?
Most unrepaired faults, even if temporarily cleared, will simply turn the relevant warning light back on.
On 27/04/2018 22:23, Fredxx wrote:

Construction and use says some cars have to have airbags and that they have to have working warning systems.

Do you think its legal to drive a car that you know will fail the MOT? They can prove you know if the fault has been cleared without the diagnostics being run. Just because you have an MOT doesn't mean its legal to drive a car.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you know why it came on you don't know if the airbag will deploy when it should or if it will deploy when it shouldn't. You would look pretty stupid if it went off while you were doing 70 on the motorway or leaning over to clean the screen.
Just think of why they require a warning lamp.

There are some MOT failure faults which make it illegal to drive the car and other MOT failure faults that don't make it illegal to drive the care. The MOT rules have just been modified to clarify that you can't take the car home with some of them. (It may be that a fault that did not make it illegal to drive the car under these rules, which relate to driving a dangerous vehicle, might nonetheless be offences to drive with under other legislation, such as some light faults.)

--

Roger Hayter

On 27/04/2018 23:54, Roger Hayter wrote:

Well yes, driving without an MOT is always illegal (except directly to a test centre with a pre-booked appointment) while having an MOT doesn't make it legal to drive a car that is unroadworthy.
I thought everyone knew that.

I am not sure that the term "roadworthy" is well-defined in law. For instance, while it may be illegal to drive a car which has no MOT, I am less convinced that it is illegal to drive a car with a valid MOT that has a defective airbag warning light, whether or not a new MOT in the currnency of the old has drawn this to your attention. This may well be a matter of fact rather than of dogmatic opinion.
--

Roger Hayter

On 28/04/2018 12:25, Roger Hayter wrote:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/75
You may note that it includes the terms that it is dangerous to you or anyone else. This includes things like faulty safety systems like brakes and airbags. Only a part of a system has to be faulty to be unroadworthy, like the warning lights being on or not working.

That section relates to selling a vehicle. You want section 42 of the same act which makes it an offence to drive a care which fails to meet *any* particular one of the construction and use regulations. But you still need to prove (rather than merely assert) that the failure of a airbag warning light amounts to a breach of the construction and use regulations. I agree it is quite likely, but that would not be sufficient basis for prosecution until the relevant clause in the regs is found.
--

Roger Hayter

On 28/04/2018 13:58, Roger Hayter wrote:

Given that its acceptable to disable an airbag (say when you have an infant in a read facing seat on the passenger seat), then I would be surprised if driving with a non functional airbag is actually an offence.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:18:02 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

"Acceptable"?? It's really *essential* since babies have been killed by these damn things.
On 28/04/2018 19:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I mean its acceptable from a legal PoV (obviously essential from a safety one)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 28-Apr-18 7:06 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

If you know anyone that likes to put their feet up on the dash make them stop. If the air bag goes off their knee goes though their head. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/motoring/terrifying-video-shows-you-should-318227
Don't cross your hands on the steering wheel so your arm is between you and the air bag. If it goes off you break your face.
https://sarahs-muse.livejournal.com/580342.html
Even 10 to 2 is claimed to be risky. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119008/How-holding-steering-wheel-old-10-2-spot-tear-hands-crash.html
Depending on religion (petrolhead wars) this may be worse. https://jalopnik.com/5907298/an-exploding-airbag-branded-an-audi-logo-on-this-mans-arm
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 06:14:37 +0100, Peter Hill wrote:

should-318227

Surely it's time we banned these death-traps?
On 28/04/2018 16:18, John Rumm wrote:

There is a difference between a faulty system and one being used as intended. Suppose the fault caused the airbag to go off while there was a child and seat there?
On 28/04/2018 21:20, dennis@home wrote:

If its detecting a fault condition then it should be rendered safe by its control system. (even if the fault is just in the detection system)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 29/04/2018 00:13, John Rumm wrote:

What if the fault is in the disarming/control system? It may be able to detect and report it but not control it.
Its faulty, there is no way the user can know what will happen. Even the mechanics in the garage can't know what will happen until the system has been diagnosed and repaired.
There are even going to be faults that it can't detect and they are the more worrying ones.
On 29/04/2018 09:58, dennis@home wrote:

You've clearly never worked on safety critical systems.
On 29/04/2018 11:28, Fredxx wrote:

You have used some of the safety critical systems I have worked on (as in design bits). I can guaranty that.
How? because the emergency services use them every day. You have never designed anything from your inability to understand simple things.