painting fuel tank

I've just bought a new (steel) petrol tank to fit to a Fiat Seicento. It seems to have a coating of silvery grey paint. Is this zinc based? What further coats does it need before fitting?

Reply to
trevtherev

Thus spake trevtherev ( snipped-for-privacy@nowt.con) unto the assembled multitudes:

If it's exposed on the underside, might well be worth slapping on a couple of thick coats of underseal.

Reply to
A.Clews

Never heard of anyone painting fuel tanks other than with,as you say,some sort of underseal...Maybe Hammerite first might protect it .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Bitumastic paint gives a durable finish, not prone to chipping. Pay particular attention to the exposed edges and corners.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

OK, Underseal it shall be, possibly with a bit of hammerite in the areas where the old one has corroded. I just wanted to know what was normally done. Thanks for all the answers.

Reply to
trevtherev

Nedavno trevtherev napisa:

What about the inside of the tank? How and with what do you paint it? I have old one that I have not yet have time to inspect, it might have some rust inside.

Reply to
Yvan

I'm not keen on underseal. It seems to me that with the passage of time it can lift in some areas allowing corrosion under it, which goes unnoticed. Better to paint it with Hammerite or bitumastic paint.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham