Spray galvanizing

The ones I've seen done with the paint galvanising looked OK from a distance but close up it just looked like galvanised/silver paint.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Dunno I've used weld thru zinc paint and Davids 182 Zinc

come out like a grey primer I suspect if you wanted a metallicfinish then one of the Zinc Ally paints is going be more like it.Derek

Reply to
Derek

I need to deal with some rusty areas on galvanized on a series II restoration. Has anyone used "spray can galvanizing"? Do they replicate a galvanized finish or just look like galvanized color paint.

Claims to be the stuff but at about $40 a spray can, I would want to be sure! This stuff looks interesting too
Any input would be appreciated

Bugger it I meant Colour! Living in a foreign country is a slippery slope to being assimilated.

Reply to
Stuart

I tried some ancient galvafroid (I think) on some of the capping on my

2A. Looked kinda like galv, but didnt last very long before the rust came back through. I think hammered silver hammerite doesnt look too bad..
Reply to
Tom Woods

Hum I've a small pot of galvafroid that I use here and there on steel bits outside. Seems to stop 'em rusting quite effectively... It's not a particularly durable coating though, rather soft even a long time after being applied.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Never seen the crayon, but zinc rich "cold galvanising" is typically what is used in building and mechanical services work. Probably next best thing to taking your car to the galvaniser's which is likely not practical. I sprayed a bare metal post on a trailer about a year ago and it still looks like it was done yesterday.

Reply to
jg

Have a look at the Rustoleum range:

but you'll be better off on the industrial pages:
They have a good reputation but I'll admit to having no experience of them myself.

You should find something there

Reply to
Dougal

Then of course there's POR15, supposed to be good stuff, I've only used it twice so far though and both times on my garage queen so no real test so far.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Garage queen - is that a bloke who went to live in a shed and hasn't come out yet?

Reply to
jg

There's some stuff called Zinga, supposed to be a coating not a paint; don't ask me what the difference is. The tin is heavy so there is hopefully a lot of zinc in it. I've got some on test on my 80 window frames, OK so far (5 months) but does look, as others have said, rather like grey primer.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

Har har, no (just in case you really don't know) it's either a car that is pampered and spends all its time in a garage, or spends all its time in a garage 'cos it's always in bits. Mine's the latter sadly.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah well the principle is similar - better do something before it decides for itself what it's going to be.

Reply to
jg

So one never sees a slippery slope, the other is already on one?

Reply to
Stuart