Paperless car tax system. Has anyone challenged this (might be long)

I've just seen this thread and had a right panic. I swapped the vehicle keeper on my car last month and had no idea this affected the tax situation. I'm still the legal owner. However I've just checked online and it says it's still taxed until next March.What gives?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Grab a few different screen shots just in case.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The only thing I can think is the registration document we filled in and sent back was an old style one. Maybe this got processed under a previous system when they recorded the change of keeper and this didn't trigger a tax cancellation.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I have checked the legislation, and it should work.

The original keeper could even put in a SORN a few days before the end of a month, and then the new keeper taxes it before driving it the next month.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The problem there is that if you declare sorn, you would need to keep the vehicle till the end of the month, then make the transfer to the new keeper. Sorn is not transferrable, same as tax. It also used to be the case that if you sorned for less than two months the dvla could re-claim any tax repaid to you, hopefully that no longer applies, I cannot see any mention of it now.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Where've you been hiding since October...? You knew that the round piece of paper was binned, right? It's part of that change.

Irrelevant. DVLA neither know nor care who the "legal owner" is.

Has the new keeper had the V5C back in their name yet? If not, then it's probably not been processed. Do you still have the V5C/2 with the doc ref on it? Check if that's the most recent V5C.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, over a month ago so clearly a cancellation of the road tax was not initiated. Maybe someone at DVLC failed to tick a particular box on their computer system. However I'm very pleased as it saves a great deal of hassle.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In my case it's a whopping £1.66666, which when rounded comes to an outrageous £1.67.

Reply to
Gordon H

Heh! you are so lucky,mine is an even more outrageous £22!! :>(

doug.

Reply to
doug.morsit

How do you check new Road Tax online?

I just paid Road Tax in a Post Office to end of April 2016, but all I got was a Post Office receipt of payment into the Post Office. That doesn't prove that my car will have Road Tax after April 2015; only that a payment has been made to the Post Office. The assistant couldn't give any other evidence that my car will be Taxed after April.

I then tried

but that came up with: "Tax Due 01 May 2015", so no acknowledgement here that I already paid this. Of course it's no use to call DVLA, they just let you hang on for hours. It feels like a lottery that my car may be legal, or if something has gone wrong in the process. Why is it always: "Trust us - we don't trust you..."

Reply to
johannes

Maybe used to be a trader, but now a pensioner. Hence the advice from the broker.

Reply to
johannes

The check service is here:

shows MoT and tax status of any car, the mot gets updated before you can drive home from the mot, I expect that the tax is pretty instant too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Your link just direct to

which I already tried. It says the Tax is due 01 May 2015, although I already paid into Post Office. I have now emailed DVLA.

Reply to
johannes

Strange, it doesn't re-direct for me, the two pages look a little different to each other, but have the same function. It does say that it may take 5 days to update, maybe the post office is on a different system. I haven't used a PO to buy tax for many years, hard to see any reason to do so, now you cannot even take away a disk.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you click on "Check Now", it will go into

Yeah, bits and pieces of the new process don't quite fit together. E.g. in the letter from DVLA it said that I should bring MOT, which I duly printed off, but the PO weren't interested.

Reply to
johannes

You printed your own MoT?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Everyone that needs to see an MOT has online access. Same as vehicle tax.

Paper MOT isn't worth anything now, it's just a printed bit of plain paper. They worked out that car thieves were using stolen MOT blanks as one more bit of documentation to make a stolen car look legit by producing a MOT. Making them a plain bit of paper tells the public that it's worthless. The only place to check an MOT is online.

The last change to V5C was because so many blank log books got stolen.

Printing your own MOT would need a degree of OCD to get all the boxes the right size and copy the VOSA logo. How did he do the MOT tester's signature? I suppose you could get the cat to do it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Because your car's current tax DOES expire on 1/5/15. You've just renewed it from 1/5/15 to 31/4/16, but that tax won't take effect until the current tax expires.

It's exactly the same as an insurance policy or a TV licence.

If you'd paid online, you'd have a receipt for your payment. You paid in a PO, you have a receipt for your payment.

If you check the tax on 1/5/15, you'll see that the then-current tax expires on 31/4/16.

The ONLY difference is that there's no small round piece of paper. Which wouldn't have been proof of your car being taxed if you paid by cheque, which then bounced...

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

That's a receiept for a payment to PO, but PO is not DVLA.

But then it might be too late if the process has gone wrong.

I would certainlty be at least a temporary proof of Road Tax.

Reply to
johannes

If you're so worried about whether the PO's access to DVLA's systems will drop a bollock, why did you use the PO in the first place, rather than tax it online direct to DVLA?

It hasn't.

Are you actively looking for potential problems?

Reply to
Adrian