Peugeot 106 front brake pads

Hiram gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

*ding*

Don't blame the design, blame poor quality pattern parts.

Reply to
Adrian

Or possibly someone without the skills to fit them

Incidently many of the pattern parts are made by the same companies that make oem parts

Reply to
steve robinson

Yeah, possibly.

So, that must mean some aren't?

*Incidentally*
Reply to
Hiram

Jeanclause should beat zhang up again with his toes.

Reply to
Peter smith

I think hiram sounds more than capable of doing this.It just a crap design as it sounds. Thats the gamble for cost with pattern parts.

I've been luck in the past with pattern parts though although a bit more of an arse ache to do ... the saving is worth it when it comes to beer time ;)

Reply to
Peter smith

most brake pads are unless you go for the real cheapies made in china by unlicenced companies and i wouldnt really want to trust my life to them would you

Reply to
steve robinson

A set of 106 pads oem are only a few quid more than decent quality pattern parts .

You can get real cheapies but i wouldnt want to risk it if i needed to stop in a hurry

Reply to
steve robinson

I don't recall ever having to file a set of pads but the tolerance was sometimes a bit tight. The design is pretty bizarre, and the retaining bar could be a real bugger to remove.

On my 205, once the retaining bar and its seat was cleaned up and copperslipped nicely, everything always went together with a gentle tap.

I'm sure there was something tapered about the caliper which meant one pad went in facing forwards and one went in backwards though.

If the pads aren't going anywhere and the brakes work well/don't bind then jobs a goodun.

On the subject of PSA brakes, a friend had a 1.4 Xsara which had front brakes which were apparently never fitted to a Xsara. After the first time waiting weeks for someone to get the right pads for him, he resorted to carrying around a traced outline for when he needed new ones which he would take to the factors so they could work it out.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I didn't like doing it I can tell you. But it was the only way they'd go in. I reckon it was about 1mm I had to remove, so not a great deal, but enough. Oddly more on the nearside than the offside.

Just guessing - but it may have been the callipers where incorrectly assembled by a previous owner, and consequently where misaligned.

I've given the car a long run this morning and the brake seem to be operating within standard parameters. :)

Yep, they seem fine, I have a good braking force, and no binding.

Reply to
Hiram

What make of pads did you fit

Reply to
steve robinson

On the box it says VECO?

Reply to
Hiram

Veco are a distributer they dont as far as i am aware make any of thier own components , think they are based in leeds if my memory serves me they have been around about 20 years .

They do supply some of the major garages including some main dealers though

Reply to
steve robinson

A quick Google suggests the company is Vegem.

Worryingly, they have spelt the page title for their braking products as "Bracking"!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thats not unusual , many large companies have thier websites outscourced

Reply to
steve robinson

This is them:

Hiram
[...]

Indeed, but a reputable company would use someone who did the job properly, and would check all looked right themselves.

I buy a fair amount of mainly computer-related items on eBay; one of the ways I select who to trade with is to consider how well or otherwise the ad is presented.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan