Pimping your own ride?

Hello.

I just have a quick question. If you already have a car, and want to add things to it after you have bought it, is it easy to do, and where do you go to get it done? For example if I have a car that doesn't have a Trip Computer, but I want to have one in there to show things like how much MPG I am averaging, range for remaining fuel etc, can this be done? Also, if I wanted to have better display instrumentation, perhaps digital lcd speedometer and rev counter that is backlit, where can you get this done and how much does it cost? Is it easy to do it yourself?

Thanks for your help

John

Reply to
John

That's a bit like asking where to buy food.

Depends on waaaaay too many factors.

What, specifically, do you want to do, and do until what?

Reply to
DervMan

That depends on what you want adding.

That depends on the car.

If it's something that is fitted to a higher spec model of your car then it will usually be possible to add the feature with manufacturers parts , either new or from a scrappy. How easy this will be depends on exactly what it is you are adding. Often all the wiring is there already. Some times there will be sensors etc that aren't fitted on the cheaper model which would make it a lot harder. If it was never available on your car then you'll be out of luck.

That sort of thing would usually require aftermarket parts and it won't be easy to make it fit in with the rest of the trim.

What car is it?

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

It's not easy. Best advice is to exchange it for a BMW 7 series with i-drive. Lovely!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

with satnav? whoopee :)

Reply to
dojj

I say, that's a bit harsh.

Maybe. But some people like to add their own gadgets to a car that doesn't have a trip computer.

DervMan

The message from John contains these words:

How long is a piece of string?

Often it's easier to buy the model that has the toys you wanted in the first place rather than try to retrofit 'em.

Often cheaper, too.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't have a car at the moment, but am looking to buy something in the next 2 months.

I'm not entirely sure what yet, but it wont be too expensive. My budget doesn't stretch as far as a BMW 7 series unfortunately :)

Perhaps something like a Toyota Corolla, Seat Ibiza, Mitsubishi Colt, something small but not too small. In the £5k to £7k range is probably what I can afford. Hopefully I should be able to get things like a Trip Computer included if I find the right spec car. I am the type of person that likes to have information like when my fuel is going to run out, and how many MPG I am averaging etc.

After I have got my car I would like to add things to it and customise it a bit. I don't really want anything doing to the outside of the car, just the interior. I'd really like to have a Digital backlit LCD speedometer and rev counter instead of the traditional clock dials.

I'd also like to have a CD/DVD/Navigation unit with a 7" LCD that comes out. I'd like to have TV channels on the thing. Digital Freeview, or Sky television. I have a website bookmarked somewhere that has a special antenna for cars to pick up Sky Channels.

I'd also like to have a small fridge/cooler box fitted into the car to keep a few cans/bottles of pop etc ice cold.

I would also like to have a computer and internet access in my car eventually that can possibly work from the 7" LCD screen.

I'm sure that I could do some of this myself, but a lot would need to get fitted professionally.

Thanks for your advice

John

Reply to
John

My 206 has a trip computer - i'm sure you can get one of appropriate spec, and not too old for your budget. SE/XSi/GTi all have it, dunno about the lower spec models.

Reply to
DanTXD

Well if you're looking for the full thing, then go to the people that pimp the cars on MTV's Pimp My Ride UK. But it's not cheap to pimp a whole car.

Jamie, I want some free customizing for plugging your business.

Reply to
brett

£5-7k will get you a *nice* E38 7er with lots of toys.

toys included. :)

Alistair J Murray

Not really.

But what is the point?

Reply to
Ben Blaney

The point is that I wanted to.

Why are we all driving when most of us can use public transport? :)

Reply to
DervMan

!Ding

Reality check.

My best advice is this. Get your car. Get used to it. Run it for a year. Stuff you believe you'll need inside a year, get as standard.

Then in a year, re-think what you want to do with it.

It's all very well having a tricked out whatever car, but you have to consider the cost of it, how relevant it will be and in the case of some things, how much better it would be to install the trickery in a house.

Reply to
DervMan

The message from John contains these words:

You're 16, aren't you.

Reply to
Guy King

You want a Focus.

If you want a trip computer, then buy a car with one. If the car you find doesn't have one, then walk away ! Retrofit will be *very* expensive, if it's even possible.

That would cost *mega* money. The only way it's feasible, is to transplant the dash stuff from an already-digital car. But said car needs to be of a similar vintage and manufacturer, for it to have any chance of working.

That's easily done - you just need a

the appropriate aerial.Forget about mobile satellite though. Mobile DVB (Freeview) is possible.

That'd be pretty simple to slap in the boot. Some cars come with aircon'd gloveboxes these days, for just that reason.

You just need a laptop then.

Reply to
Nom

Here, take this big can of worms.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Mine does :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Because he can and wanted to :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Really.

He can, he wants to, he did?

Now. What's the point of you complaining about everyone else here?

Reply to
David Taylor