Pimping your own ride?

So you can measure the induction tract temperature to see if a variance of 1 degree celcius will improve fuel economy by 0.001 mpg at a constant

56mph.
Reply to
SteveH

they are not that accurate

Reply to
dojj

He's obviously NOT married or doesn't have children to look after!!!!

Reply to
Max the Axe

Ask first. Does she want you to pimp her? If not then you could end up in prison.

Reply to
neutron

Erm, I think you'll find that's "Celsius". :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pedant.

However, it all goes to prove that my posts are 100% spill-chucker free.

Reply to
SteveH

You get more use from your ruler if you use Kelvin...

Alistair J Murray

kelvin is a ruler? wow! when did the queen die then?

Reply to
dojj

I'd like a BMW but even if I can afford a very old one, I definitely wouldn't be able to afford the insurance for it, and the cost of fuelling it would also be too great. I think they only return 25 MPG the 7 Series, so its a definite no go for me.

Perhaps if I get a few job promotions or I win the lottery then maybe :) But then again, doesn't every man and his dog have a BMW these days? As Jeremy Clarkson says, Yesterdays Mondeo Man is todays 3 Series Man. If I was a bit higher up the pay scale, e.g. a senior manager, and my budget stretched to being able to afford a 7 series BMW, i.e. a £40k to £70k car, I'd probably go for something like an A4 Quattro or a Phaeton. You can even get a XK Convertible Jag for a similar price. How about the Lexus 430? That's a striking looking car, and they are not as common as BMWs, you hardly see any of them about. At the higher end of the 7 Series price scale (new) you are in to Porsche and TVR territory. What makes you so keen on BMWs? Isn't there anything else you'd prefer? What was that model that Clarkson took for a spin two weeks back on Top Gear? The one that had a lot of annoying features and a sat nav system that wouldn't shut up? I'm sure that was a BMW?

John

Reply to
John

Afraid not mate, but I still like drinking lots of fizzy drinks though especially if they have caffeine in.

John

Reply to
John

I definitely don't believe me.

It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, well the old model is, (the new one just looks like the Astra from three decades ago) but it is very common. I have a thing about not wanting to drive a car that is common and everyone else on the road seems to drive.

206, Focus, Golf, Clio, Corsa, Fiesta, a lot of these might be nice cars, but I want something that isn't as common.

I also can't stand cars that are silver or grey in colour. And the Golf in either Silver or Black, every boy racer seems to have one, and in one of those colours.

Okay.

You can't just get the speedometer/rev counter instrumentation part and swap them? I'm sure on Pimp My Ride they have done up a couple of cars and they haven't replaced the whole dash, just the instrumentation, and on different cars?

Not bad those Kenwood units. Is it difficult to pick up mobile satellite?

John

Reply to
John

You have great power of deduction :)

All I need is room for me, and the occasional other person, and enough room for a Mountain Bike, Fishing Gear or a Telescope in the boot.

John

Reply to
John

Dude have you any idea how much West Coast charge for work like that :) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

If you have a £7k budget and you bought a £3k 728i you'd probably spend less over 3 years than you would with a full price warm hatch...

A 520i would cost even less.

I never used that little petrol with my 740i. :)

4 cylinder 3ers and 6 or 8 cylinder 7ers are *very* different things...

A/S8 surely, A4Qs are snack food for ///M3s, or 330s...

RS6 is a contender against the M5 or B5 though.

Bit beefy looking IMO.

4WD cars don't generally have as nice steering as RWDs either.

No real use for a convertible, the alloy XJ is a bit tasty though...

"Striking" is *far* too kind

Yup, different things tho'...

You mentioned fancying a 7er - good choice IMO, I liked my 740i lots.

I currently drive an ALPINA B10 V8, based on the E39 5

This one:

- it's *awesome*. It will carry 4, or even 5, people in supreme comfort and near silence at speeds up to 170mph across continents...

...or blast along B-roads with sports car agility and colossal acceleration...

...or transport the weekly shopping.

I bought it at 8 years old for a fraction of its new cost and fully expect to enjoy it for several years before passing it on to another lucky and discerning driver. I hope to replace it with one of the new E60 based B5 Tourings.

If I had a fleet I'd probably have a TVR, an Abarth 595 for round town, perhaps a Merc 600 (W100) or one of the other M100 powered cars, a Skyline GT-R and almost certainly a BMW/ALPINA for daily use.

I-drive is only a pain on borrowed cars...

Yup, the new ///M5, which JC also said was as good as it gets...

Alistair J Murray
[...]

Alistair J Murray

I would love one of those. Fast, luxurious, practical. Everything you need really. Only place it falls down is fuel economy.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Dude, you are so missing the point.

If you cover 40,000 miles then the consumption might be an issue for you.

If you only cover 10,000 miles then the difference won't be that much.

You'll lose a fortune just by owning a newer car regardless of how much you drive it.

No, everybody and his dog appears to own a BMW, VW, Audi or Mercedes. Volvo or Saab to be different. And the Mondeo is arguably a better car than most of the above!

Ewwww!

Ewwwwww!

Still, it might have been worse, you could want a Toerag.

Ewww. Best thing about the Lexus 430 was that cute girl from Terminator in one.

Correct. Unpopular cars are either stupidly overpriced, expensive and tasteless, daft, or any combination therein. Enter the Lexus. :)

Not really the same as a four door BMW, though.

Reply to
DervMan

That's life.

Unpopular cars are that way for good reasons.

Then bend over the salescounter both when you buy it and when you trade it in.

It's always possible. If you have the money.

Yes it can be done, of course it can be done. You can get funky electronic dashboards. The parts will be upwards of £200. Then you have to take everything out and replace it. That gets expensive. Very expensive.

Go along and ask somewhere.

Reply to
DervMan
[...]

I'm working on my Mum to buy it, so I can borrow it.

We both *really* care about that don't we. ;)

Alistair J Murray

Er, yes you do. It's the best of the "small but not too small. In the £5k to £7k range". Why settle for anything less ?

Eh ?

So you'd choose not to have the best car, because it was common ?

Corsa is s**te. Focus and Golf are worthy of purchase. The rest are too small. Something that isn't as common, generally won't be as good !

A. Learn that Silver is the best colour for cars. B. Learn that White cars are unfinished. Their used values reflect this. Only faulty people buy them new.

You can do anything you like if you pay enough for it.

Er, I suggest you go and find out the costs of such custom work. Hint : They're ASTRONOMICAL.

It's a none-starter. Unless you plan to pay for a decrypt card for your car, then just stick with Freeview. It's easier and cheaper.

Reply to
Nom