Programming a new car battery??

And with lower compression ratios.

Reply to
Ramsman

Quite. And even then, a large engine could be very hard work indeed to start on the handle. But one did come in handy for setting the valve clearance and points, etc.

Of course many on here look at the past through rose tinted specs. Forgetting how quickly engines used to wear out. And needing routine valve grinds, etc. And, of course, just how dog slow the average car used to be. A quick saloon car from the 50s would be left for dead away from the lights by many a shopping hatch now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Absolutely, and when we go back to the old filament lamps we can get rid of the blinding led lights on modern cars.

Reply to
critcher

For a sometimes user, the start/stop feature is a pita.

Easy to take a fence down if you are not carefull.

Reply to
critcher

Don't you have to have clutch pressed down for it to start?

In January, I got a new car - but as I haven't driven it for at least two months, I've forgotten the feel of auto-stop-start sequence. Whatever it is, I don't like it, and I usually disable it.

It's not that I don't believe in switching off when stationary - it's just that I prefer to be in charge of it. The trouble is, if I disable it, and later do a manual switch-off, when I do a manual start again it reverts to auto. [In the myriad of menus, there's almost certainly a permanent disable function.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Back to the days of not being able to see where you're going? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And the brakes on if an auto?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Have you bypassed the clutch pedal switch?

Reply to
Kumquat May

By stopping the car in a car park, the engine stops, then you push the clutch in to take it out of gear, the car restarts, makes you wonder what the f*ck is happening and you lose control and let the clutch out while still in gear.

Reply to
critcher

Best to give up driving when senility is taking over?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

BMW autos with auto handbrake do all this for you. Come to a halt on the footbrake and it'll switch off the engine. It re-starts either when you put your foot on the throttle or if you stick the auto shifter into sport mode.

I find it very easy to live with and can't understand the obsession people have with switching it off.

Reply to
Steve H

I've not owned a car with it. Older brother bought a used Audi a couple of years ago which has. He was very against it at first, but now just lets it get on with it. The battery problems he expected haven't happened.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Bit nasty that  brother !

Reply to
critcher

The engine won't stop unless it's in neutral already so you don't need to "take it out of gear". If the engine is off, you don't need the clutch to move the gear stick anyway, and the only way your scenario could happen is if you stall the engine?

Not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Kumquat May