Puggy 107 brakes under warranty?

Or it's gone rusty.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm sure, if you'd asked, they'd have given you a price.

So you could have done precisely that, too? Not that that'll give you much of a proper impression, but it should have been enough to spot the gouged disc.

Ah, so they did give you a price...

Reply to
Adrian

There is plenty of meat left on the pad and by the size of the grooves any stone or foreign object would have been thrown clear as soon as it hit but it would have had to be a very small stone/bolt to get past the pad surely? It isn't only one groove anyway the side of the disc is covered with grooves.

Of course the car could always have been like it since I got it and the shudder only become noticeable as it got worse but proving that would be impossible of course.

As I say I would have been perfectly happy if Peugeot had told me what it was going to cost before doing the work but asking to sign a disclaimer before even looking at it basically saying they could do any work regardless was not on. I wasn't Joe Bloggs off the street I am a long time customer of theirs who was promised 'any problems at all just come back and we'll sort it out'.

Reply to
Popadalious

Not really. Apparently Peugeot have a standard price of £225 for pads and discs which apart from being more than double what I am having the work done for I only found out by going on a Peugeot site. No wonder they wanted a disclaimer signed!

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

Doesnt hurt them not to either, they are a business

Reply to
steve robinson

They need to learn a bit about customer relations. I am an electronic good engineers and have found time to help a customer out if the need is there. It does wonders for customer relations.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

Isn't that why he paid through the nose for a warranty from a main dealer?

Reply to
Peter the poet

Find me a warranty that'll cover worn discs...

They were quite happy to inspect. They merely said "...but if they're worn, they'll be chargable. Please sign to confirm you understand this."

Reply to
Adrian

Quite - unless a maintenance too one. My BMW used car warranty certainly didn't cover service items like pads and discs.

Lots of owners around who claim to know the difference between wear and tear and failure - but still need to use a garage to sort things?

A main dealer tends to have posh facilities - nice waiting room etc. Free car while yours is being fixed, and so on. Not really a surprise they charge more than a backstreet garage. And if cost really is the deciding factor it's hardly rocket science to learn how to change pads and discs yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 09/01/2015 13:11, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: And if cost really is the deciding

It can be on modern high end cars and those with electric handbrakes:) I have been horrified by some of the bodges that amateurs think they can do on brakes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We're talking about a 107 here...

Pros, too.

Reply to
Adrian

I've been equally as horrified to see the bodges some so called pros do on cars too. On balance, I'll stick with DIY. I've been doing such things long enough to understand my limits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps that is high end to some.

Quite. If it really is a difficult job to work on brakes with 'an electric handbrake' you can be sure plenty of pros will bodge it up too. The only thing the average fitter knows about electricity is how to plug the inspection light in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite probably the last non-multiplexed brand new car on sale.

Reply to
Adrian

The discs were not worn they were *faulty* probably since I bought the car from them.

They were *not* 'quite happy to inspect' they wanted *paying* to inspect even when I said I considered it a warranty claim as I had done just 3000 miles since buying the 'FSH one owner well cared for' car which with Peugeot original disc and pads should have done well over 7k miles. With minimal wear on the original tyres the claim that the car had been driven hard is extremely unlikely.

Anyway I put it into my Bathwick tyres today and they fitted new discs and pads and the car is now fine with no shudder at all. It's Peugeots loss not mine as I doubt I will use their service dept again or buy any more cars from them. The level of unhelpful service that I have received from this main dealer I can get much cheaper elsewhere. In fact as I have said the smaller guys in my humble opinion offer a better service.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

I do know the difference which is why I tried to make a warranty claim. It is obvious to me that the female receptionist hasn't got a clue as she also sat there trying to lecture me on warped discs. Not that she actually offered to have a look at the discs herself or could quote me any mileage figures for how long genuine original discs should last. :)

I am disabled and unable to lay underneath cars. That doesn't stop me having a basic knowledge gleaned from when I could work on them.

On the subject of warped discs I can't seem to find two mechanics who agree but it seems likely that warping is very much mis-diagnosed and something that very rarely - if ever - occurs.

One mechanic admitted to me that when asked to check for warped discs all he did was give the pads and discs a good clean and things were always fine claiming that doing this was easier than trying to explain to a customer the problems that were actually causing the juddering.

For the sake of £98 to replace the whole lot though I know my grand kids are safe in the car.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

Yes I have basic knowledge and no learning difficulties as well as having changed discs and pads in the past so it is down to whether a person is physically able to do the work which you omitted to query on your rant.

You seem to be the voice of sanity on this newsgroup Mr C.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

I have various electrical qualifications. It is very rare indeed that I have met a mechanic who knows the first thing about a cars electrics.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

My 5008 has an electronic brake. It is a pain in the arse and has a delay of some 2 seconds before it releases which brings no ends of impatient flashing when I pull away.

Reply to
Priority at Dawn

...for something which turned out to be wear...

Reply to
Adrian