Re: Calling Disco experts ...

Wife's TD5 on 02 plate, has had a few issues with the battery going

> flat. Yesterday, she went out to it - fortunately on the drive - > turned the key, and nothing. It had been running fine shortly before. > I went out with my meter, and the battery was completely dead. It > looks an old battery, so I figured that it had just finally died. I > had one do exactly the same a few years back on a Focus. No warning. > Just stopped. > So today, she went and got a nice shiny new one from Halfords. I put > it in place, hooked on the positive terminal, then went for it with > the negative terminal. There was a bloody great flash, and the engine > started cranking, so I whipped it back off again. Quick repeat, same > thing. So I got her to come out with the key, figuring that it was > perhaps jammed in mesh and holding the main solenoid contacts in, and > that if the engine was started, it would 'fling out' and all would be > well. She turned it on. I dumped the terminal on and it cranked, and > started immediately, After a few seconds of it running and sounding > just fine - no whines or graunches or other naughty noises - I got > her to turn it back off, fully expecting all to now be well. But no > ... > The engine stopped running for sure - well, under its own steam > anyway - but there was the bloody starter motor cranking away still. > I have since popped the starter relay (I'm assuming it's the big > yellow one marked on the lid diagram as "SM") and still the starter > runs as soon as the battery is connected. This has got to be a > mechanical starter motor issue, right ? Something that's 'fixable' on > one of them, or is the starter motor a sealed-for-life sort of thing > ...? > Arfa

first try pulling off the little lead on the starter, if it is still the same then the solenoid is likely stuck in (which may be fixable), if however, it is now all quiet then it is a wiring problem (little lead being powered somehow). Generally people don't repair their own starters, but there are plenty of small places that will just fix it for you, rather than a complete recon.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You 'can' fix anything, but whether it is worth it is another matter, usually solenoids are just replaced as a lump, but I have sometimes taken them apart and cleaned up the copper contacts and they go again. First establish exactly which bit is at fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It'll likely be a pre-engage type, where a solenoid pulls the pinion into mesh before the current is applied to the motor. The solenoid takes a fair bit of current so is usually controlled by a relay, switched by the key. If you're certain you've got the correct relay, the solenoid must have jammed in the made position. Although I've never come across this. They do often stick - but usually so the starter won't operate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

wires melted together is the usual cause.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The ones I've seen have a spring inside so removing the volts should return it to rest.

Like a sort of latching relay? Suppose it's possible, but not come across that.

There are loads secondhand on Ebay from about 30 quid up - so I'd guess it's generally pretty reliable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I meant in general, rather than vehicle specific, first thing is to pull the small wire off the starter (or unbolt it)

Reply to
Mrcheerful