Calling all Volvo security (anti-theft) experts

I recently left my 2007 V70 D5 with an airport parking company - who managed to lose my key! [I have a spare set of keys, and now have the car back, and am able to drive it].

The parking company have said they will pay for a replacement key (about 200 UKP) but I am concerned that if the original key has fallen into the hands of a villain, the car could be susceptible to theft.

My Volvo dealer says that each key is individually encoded to be recognised by the car, so that they can - in effect - de-activate the lost key and activate the new one. Apparently when you insert the key into the ignition switch, data is read off the key which has to be valid before the engine will start. The dealer says that the old key would still open the door - presumably by actually inserting the key into the lock rather than using the remote control (which hopefully *wouldn't* work).

I'm not sure how paranoid I had ought to be about all this. The chances are that there is a label attached to the keys (by the parking company) on which is written the registration number (licence plate number for N. American readers) of my car. Although the registration number database in the UK is not publicly accessible, it's not all that difficult for a villain to find out the name and address of the owner of a car once they know the registration number. So my car could, in theory, receive a visit from a villain in possession of my old key when it's parked on my drive. The villain would be able to open the doors and steal the contents - and open the bonnet (hood) - and possibly hot-wire it to drive it away. [I assume that the key would still turn in the ignition, and release the steering lock even if it wouldn't start the engine].

Are there any Volvo security experts out there who would care to offer an opinion on the risks which I face? Presumably I would be totally safe if all the doorlocks and ignition lock were changed and totally new keys provided - but that would be extremely expensive, and I may have difficulty getting the parking company to pay for it.

Your informed comments will be most welcome.

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It strikes me that, given your level of concern that someone somehow is going to track down your car, open it up and do something, is to drive it off a cliff. In the meantime, be sure to check under your bed for the boogyman every night. As a last resort, you might consder the possibility that anyone who finds your misplaced key could give a shit and just tosses it in the trash. Oh, wait a second, maybe the trash man might find it, track you down and slit your throat! OMG, there's no way to be totally safe, maybe you should kill yourself now.

Reply to
Lloyd W.

Have the dealer delete all keys in memory & reprogram all of your other keys Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
GlennK

Thank you for your sympathy!

The most likely scenario is that the keys have genuinely been lost and will never show up.

However, one cannot totally rule out the possibility that they have been

*stolen* with something more sinister in mind.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response. What would actually be achieved by deleting my remaining key and re-programming it?

If the lost key has been 'deleted', what functions will it *still* perform - such as opening the door and releasing the steering lock? What will it *not* do? Given an 'invalid' key which nevertheless fits the locks, how difficult is it to bypass the security systems - enabling the car to be driven?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The key still will open the door & unlock the steering but the car will not start due to the key not being in memory

Reply to
GlennK

Yes, that's what I thought. But you also suggested deleting the other key (which is still in my possession) and re-programming it. Why?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Because there is no way for us to delete just 1 key you just delete all keys in memory & reprogram the 1 new one & all of your other keys

Reply to
GlennK

Because there is no way for us to delete just 1 key you just delete all keys in memory & reprogram the 1 new one & all of your other keys

Reply to
GlennK

Who is going to know which of many thousands of Volvos that particular key fits? Are they going to wander all over town trying it in every one they come across? I wouldn't sweat it.

Reply to
James Sweet

As I explained in my OP, the carpark people will have attached a label to the key which shows my registration (licence plate) number - which can be traced to my name and address. So, if the car is parked on my drive . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

Nope. Wouldn't make much of a difference.

My last car (ok, so not a Volvo) was stolen from out the front of my workplace.

Rear 1/4 window smashed, doors opened, dashboard broken down, hotwired and driven off in under 30 seconds. This happened in the middle of the day.

Cheers, Andy.

Reply to
Andy