Re: can i use car driving wheel as a winch?

'm not sure of the load rating you could lift, but I can guess what will happen ..

1) The strain will pull the car off it's supports

2) The scaffolding will probably go as well

3) It will happen very fast

4) Someone will get hurt

I assume you will have scaffolding up - to which you should be able to attach a block and tackle.

If you don't know what I mean by scaffold, and block and tackle - get a builder to do the whole job for you

Reply to
R. Murphy

Half a ton of bricks will only take you an hour or so to shift to the second storey, just carry 'em.

Oh, and I shalln't see your reply 'cos I've killfiled all yahoo traffic 'cos of the vast amount of spam from 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Can I come and watch? This is going to be good.

Reply to
shazzbat

I agree with the other replies in that I think you might not have thought that through completely. How about attaching the rope to the tow hitch and driving forward the requisite distance? Or possibly the front towing point and driving backwards? How much is a block and tackle to hire anyway

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

i am about to start building a brick wall on top of a two storey

> dwelling in a remote area.i need to take up half a ton of bricks to > the roof.i brought the bricks in my 2.4 litre diesel nissan pickup > > i am wondering if anyone has ever used his car as a winch? i have an > old wheel rim which i was going to cut a slot into to tie a rope which > i would sling thru a pulley at the roof. > > i reckonned that i would only need to jack the winch wheel as the > differential will keep the opposite wheel from moving. > > if i wiegh the van down with 200lb of bricks how large a load should i > be able to winch up vertically? > > > thanks, > Sam

Saw it done on scrapyard challenge, well, similar anyways.

May not be applicable, but think H&S would go postal if they saw you. If its a private job, then I look forward to seeing you in the Darwin awards[1]

Should work providing you get a clear rope run from the wheel, whatever the top support is made from is sturdy enough, the rope is sound, there are no obstructions, you can control the load, you can swing the load onto a platfrom when its at the top etc etc. Are you -sure- you thought this through.

Surely its only 10 loaded hods, or 20 half loads?.

[1]Sounds like a fun way to waste a morning though!
Reply to
Sean

Don't do it, it's not worth it. Just carry them up, 2 tons sounds a lot but you'll have 'em shifted in less than an hour.

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Tony Morland

Save time by building the wall first at ground level and then hoist it up.

Reply to
Mark W

you guys pretty much convinced me that it is not such a good idea.I heard about a guy who did this thou.

I will carry them up.it would have taken me around 4 hours to get the winch setup and i should be able to carry them up in the same amount of time - thou it would be less fun.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Has anyone ever used the car for anything other than driving. Where is the creative spirit?

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" mumbled:

Controlled by having a packet of condoms in the glovebox, luckily.

Reply to
Guy King

snipped-for-privacy@ubht.swest.nhs.uk (Malc) mumbled:

Some towerblocks are built this way to avoid the costs of high level working and cranes and scaffolding and stuff. They build a floor at ground level, jack it up and build another underneath and so on.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah but it has a low range that'll allow the wheel to spin in 1st gear slower than a snail.

Reply to
Conor