Re-con PAS box

My 1984 Merc is suffering from play in the steering. Can anyone recommend someone who can recondition the PAS box? I've got a spare so it can be done by post.It's a W123.

TIA

JP

Reply to
spamcemetary2000

In news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oh dear... W123 steering boxes.. not good....

Has it snapped its front coil springs yet? That's a bitch of a job..

Reply to
Pete M

I don't know the box, and you don't say how much play, but most R&P boxes IME have a means of adjusting the play between the rack and pinion. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Don't think so - this tends to be an initial adjustment, not to take up wear. End float on the pinion, yes.

But doesn't a W123 have a box?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're basically right, which is why I mentioned how much play. Providing play is not excessive, a small adjustment on the rack support pad is OK to remove it. The rack is long enough to allow for a slight bend, that will not put excessive side pressure on the end bushes. You can tell when you adjust it if the load is too high. After adjustment, the rack must be free at the extremes of it's travel. Not just the central position. Another point is that the rack support pad could be worn which would allow the rack to move away from the pinion. Of course if the pinion and rack teeth are badly worn in the central position, no amount of adjustment is going to remove the play.

Dunno, but it still may allow for adjustment. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've never known a power rack to wear in this way - after all they're continually lubricated. They just leak. ;-) And older non power ones always seem to tighten up if you try and adjust any play. Of course there's always and exception to any rule.

On the couple of worn manual ones I've seen, the rack itself tends to be worn down where the pad touches. So adjustment means some tightening up at extremes even with a spring loaded pad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What it boils down to, is that you can only compensate for wear on the pinion itself and/or wear on the pad. Not local wear on the rack teeth or pad area. Even so, it can still be worth doing, if the play is not too much. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

try these people:

mrcheerful

Don't know, question too technical for me.

Reply to
spamcemetary2000