Reply to
Chris

Actually, he does, in most episodes.

Reply to
Chris

No he doesn't.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes he does. I admit I've only seen a dozen or so episodes in total but in the ones going out on Quest at the moment he does.

Reply to
Chris

I remember speaking to him at Sata Pod many years ago (around the mid-90s) and he was building all sorts of things then. While he was reclining in his four-poster bed, he was telling us that he was stopped by the police on the way there - they couldn't believe that it was legal for a four-poster bed to be towing a settee (complete with table and standard-lamp) on the road!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

'OH YES HE DOES!'

Reply to
Graham T

They did specifically state a few times that labour costs were deliberately excluded on the basis of it being a demonstration of what you could do yourself and therefore there would be no labour costs - which was fair enough in the early series where they were doing mainly relatively simple mechanical repairs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I never saw this statement about the labour costs, and I did look for it. Bollocks. As for doing the jobs at home, that was 90% bollocks. Unless you have a ramp/pit/welding gear etc.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

DON'T SHOUT! IN THIS MEDIUM SHOUTING IS REGARDED AS BEING RUDE. ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PIKEYS THAT MRS POUNDER HAS WARNED ME ABOUT?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Pity I missed it. It's the only horror film I've ever seen that genuinely creeped me out. And Carpenter's They Live was amazing for other reasons.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just looked at They Live. I was not impressed. But, never mind.

This was good, Dr Loomis is talking about Peter Hucker.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Yup - that's more like it for a proper job. And remember few cars with perfect bodies require a repaint. There will usually be damage of one sort or another to be repaired first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never heard of either of them. What's the context/relevance?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, it can be a total horror story once you start chipping away! :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

but it's pantomime season.

Reply to
Peter Hill

True. It does show the difference between true car restorers and those who merely pontificate about it in the pub.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TV "producers" don't usually tend to bother with those details (don't think they include maths in Media Studies degrees).

There have been many home renovation/house flipping programs on TV in recent years that all followed the same approach ("took 2 years to do up instead of the promised/planned 2 months? who cares about the extra £5k in council tax payments during that time...")

Reply to
JoeJoe

Doesn't everyone have portable ramps and a welder?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mr Pounder can't do relevance.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And often new tyres fitted with no mention of them in totting up the costs.

Reply to
Newsworthy