Re: OT: Car maintenance

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Chris" saying something like:

I know there's probably a more suitable group to post this in but I >regularly lurk in here and I'm sure a friendly fellow caravanner can help >me.

You utter bastard.

I've a question regarding engine coolant/antifreeze. My header tank is a bit >low and has dropped below the minimum mark. I've bought some new liquid from >Halfords and the instructions state that it is 'undesirable to mix different >brands of engine coolant as they may be incompatible' The instructions also >state that once the system has been refilled with the required quantity of >antifreeze and water up to the total volume the system needs that it should >be topped up with water as required. > >So, what do I do? Should I top up with water or water/coolant mix? > >If I go for the coolant mix how bad is it if the brand of coolant I use >isn't what the garage put in when I get it serviced every year

xposted to ukrcm.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

best bet is to flush the system out till it is clean, then fill with the brand you want to use. the system should be refilled every two years or so in any case.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Grimly Curmudgeon quoted:

You can generally mix blue and green (ordinary glycol), but pink (OAT - organic acid technology) must not be mixed with either blue or green.

Ideally find the source of the coolant loss (overheating/leak/blown gasket), drain and flush, then refill. OAT coolant lasts 5 years, which is nice.

Oh yes...I agree on the "utter bastard" comment ;-)

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable