Tappety Corsa

All, My '98 Corsa 75k miles starts with a tappety noise when it has been stood for a day or so, when used frequently there is no problem. This noise improves fairly quickly once the oil gets circulating and the car settles down to 'normal' engine sound. I had this on another Vauxhall a few years ago and was told then that the lubrication to the first or was it the last pot was not getting through the normal pipework and therefore it had to wait for the overspill in the rocker cover to lubricate that area. Now my question is:- is there a quick fix or is it a case of waiting till the camshaft is totalled and needs replacing? I had wondered whether flushing the engine might clear the blocked orifice? Any ideas, thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Cheers Ben.

Reply to
Ben Da Menda

The noise is caused by one or more hydraulic tappets failing to maintain their size while parked. oil pressure restores them after a short time running , the cure is change the oil more frequently with the right oil / and get the tappets renewed if the oil changes don't cure it. some people recommend some atf added to the oil to clean the tappets, I have never tried that.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd try some engine flush and an oil change BEFORE the camshaft gets knacked.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix