Re: Plugs and Optimax

Had the plugs out of the SD1 for the first time in a few years. And it's

> been running on Optimax for the last year or so. I've never seen plugs so > clean - the insulators were near white with no deposits on them at all. > How are you meant to tell if the mixture is ok these days...;-) > > I've fitted Bosch 4 plus, although they don't list them for the EFI. But > they do for the TVR 350i and Range Rover EFi of the same age, so I'm > hoping they're the right ones. > > --

What kind of driving - is it mainly motorway stuff ? I always found that the kind of driving made a huge difference to plug deposits - course these days you dont get to look for at least 50k miles ( main dealer service schedule..... ) :-)

Steve

Reply to
sro

Arent the EFi engines noted for running abit on the lean side of idea anyways- giving you a whiter plug ? If you get any signs of pre-igntion might be worth going to one or two grades harder plug especially if you drive it hard.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Using mainly regular Shell and never Optimax my NGK plugs have deep purple insulator noses but it's on one side only. Must be the fuel unless they got that colour from the Nitrox fuel injection cleaner that I used around 20,000 miles ago.

Peter Hill

Yes, but this isn't white carbon - it's the insulator. I gave one a good scrape to make sure, although I knew anyway - the carbon is always rough, and this was dead smooth.

I've got a variable fuel pressure regulator which sorts out the usual lean running at cruise.

Funnily, it doesn't pink at all on super unleaded although I'm using about

5 degrees more advance than standard. I've not tried it on 95 octane.
Reply to
Dave Plowman