Reasonable quote?

Wife's Micra failed MOT - needs rear brakes sorting - I found one cylinder leaking. Therefore need new shoes and cylinders. Had a quote for £120 . Almost feel inclined to DIY but I hate brake shoe springs and I am in the middle of decorating the lounge!

What do you think of the quote - need to agree it tomorrow - or look elsewhere. (not enough time for shopping around though)

Reply to
John

Doesn't sound too bad to me - I bet parts would come to a good 40-50 quid (two cylinders, set of rear shoes). Personally I'd let them do it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I agree, let them do it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

But is it a quote or an estimate?

Reply to
""manx.exile "

For cylinders AND new shoes this sounds reasonable.

I would expect the new shoes to be about the 45 - 45 mark, and the cylinders maybe 40 -ish each - all plus VAT etc.

This is based on

My local C**P fit used to charge £50 a throw for rear cyclinders on my old cavalier (which used to get through them rapidly, even when C**P fit didn't fit 'em), and

My local independent garage charged about £45 for a set of new shoes on the back of my wife's Polo

For what all that's worth ....

PS I have a lot of sympathy withbthe comment about shoe spings. Front discs pads, discs and calipers - no sweat. One sping on a rear shoe - AAAAAArgh!

Reply to
Richard Murphy

One Fiesta rear cylinder including VAT - Better Brakes Portslade Sx £32.50 :-) E-mail address, hopefully self-explanatory Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Cor - I'm out of touch - I was expecting around £8 per cylinder and about £15 for a set of shoes.

I think that is all I paid for my old Viva!

Thanks all.

Reply to
John

The message from "John" contains these words:

Less than that, assuming it's an old Micra

Guy King

The prices must be moving rapidly if they can only keep the quote on the table for a day! Personally I wouldn't put up with this time pressure.

Reply to
dp

The pressure is to get the job done within the 14 day free re-test period!

Reply to
John