recommended components

Are there any makes of certain components you always use because you find them best/most reliable? I always use Champion windscreen wipers, they are smooth and no noise/squeaks.

Reply to
Marvin

Over 40 years experience, sometimes bitter, has taught me to use only the original manufacturer's parts for things like spark plugs, HT leads, filters and brake components.

I'm with you regarding the Champion wipers. I had always used Bosch but they were getting quite expensive, so I got Champion ones from here:

They were quite cheap and work well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I always used bosch wipers and continue to. Never got on with Champion, tried Valeo once, and they had a short life. That wiperblades.co.uk is very good IME.

I always use OEM plugs, filters, brake parts and HT leads too- usually from GSF or Euro. Again, a bad experience with a cheap and nasty CV joint (and having to do the job twice) taught me a lesson.

The only aftermarket parts I've used recently was a fog lamp for our Lupo- they're prone to stone damage and the OEM one is twice the price.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I didn't realise Ford made spark plugs.

Reply to
Brian

Strange given that pretty well no car maker actually makes these parts - they are bought in, and often from more than one source. Of course you should use replacements to the original spec or higher, but that's not the same thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, not strange at all. OEM ones are made to OEM standards. It's as simple as that.

It's not always cheaper to use cheap parts either. As an example, a friend replaced an Escort bottom arm. Genuine was 50UKP, so he used a 30UKP one from a parts shop. A year later it failed the MOT on the same ball joint. He was silly enough to buy another 30 quid one...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In one sense they possibly don't. Have you never heard of Motorcraft?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Another case in point - Ford OEM HT leads. The Zetec engines eat these at the best of times, but only the OEM leads will be trouble free after a few thousand miles.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Indeed, and if left misfiring can cost a lot more than a set of leads!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Andy Tucker contains these words:

Is there any truth in the idea that closing the plug gap up slightly makes them last longer by reducing the operating voltage (the spart starts at a lower voltage)?

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Yes. That's why Ford changed the recommended gap from 1.3mm to 1.0mm.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

Ill bet they didn't call them all back to do it!

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

And you would be right. They did pre-gap all the Motorcraft replacement plugs to 1.0mm and NGK did the same for their zetec plugs.

Reply to
Paul Giverin