Remember this from a previous thread?

I've had this sent to me. It would make no difference at all. Firstly, I never use Esso or BP as they closing all their service stations. And secondly, Esso and BP are the two biggest suppliers to the supermarkets for their fuel.

When Asda started their "profit free" petrol a few years back to undercut the petrol station forecourts, all Esso et al did was raise the price that they sold it to the supermarkets for so they had to raise their price to the level of BP and Esso forecourts.

Reply to
gazzafield

I'm not too up on the fuel industry but what makes you think Esso and BP are closing all their stations. The Esso rumour has been going for a few years now but I've yet to see any evidence of them pulling out of the forecourt market. And the way BP promote their Wild Bean Cafe stations makes me believe they will be going for a while yet.

If there has been anything issued by the companies to suggest they are closing stations please point me towards it as I'd be interested to know what is going to happen to my local garage

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Most filling stations are only franchises, but with the increased competition from supermarkets, many are becoming unprofitable, and closing down. It is known for the big fuel compaines to remove franchises, but that's not a very common occurence.

Regards the original post, the people who come up with these 'campaigns' obviously have no idea of how the fuel industry works. The only person these 'campaigns' are going to hurt is the franchise holders. The fuel companies aren't going to be affected. In any given area off the country, most of the fuel in that area will come out the nearest refinery, regardless of brand. The fuel comes out the refinery as a basic fuel, and is then moved to the various fuel companies, where they then add their own additives (or not in the case of supermarket fuel), before being moved out in there own tankers. Now unless everybody is going to start travelling the length and breadth of the country to avoid fuel from one single manufacturer, these 'campaigns' are never going to work.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill