remote locking 2006 ford fusion question

My mother has a 2006 Fusion and the remote key has died (PATS is fine - will start the car) I tried changing the battery but no life at all. I reckon the key has died but to check I tried to put the car into programming mode - I understand that turning from pos II to nothing 4 times in 3 seconds and then removing the key should do this and the led should come on without flashing.

When I do this on this car it beeps but the led continues flashing - any Idea what is wrong ?

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Autodata doesn't mention the LED staying on. Have you tried completing the procedure to see if it will code to the vehicle anyway?

I've also had experience of Ford keys that have had the button(s) pressed repeatedly when out of range of the vehicle losing their coding, and refusing to re-code. Leaving the battery out for an extended period (days in one case), and then refitting the battery allowed the key to be successfully re-coded.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

thanks for that not sure whether the beep indicates its programming mode or if there is something wrong with the car - I would guess more likely the key, my tis disc is so old it doesnt have fusions in it IIRC. Will try leaving the battery out for a few days. If that doesnt work I may try a key repair service although I'm handy with a soldering iron if I can get it apart without damaging it too much. Goes against the grain to pay fords £125 fora new key although my mothers starting to talk about that route:-)

Reply to
Ghostrecon