Repairing Heated Rear Window

I've got the silver paint, but how can I test where the break(s) are with a multimeter.

Also, how can I tell where I've put too much (is this possible) or too little paint to make an effective repair. I ask, because I actually did some repairing last year. Some worked and some did'nt, so I think I may have put too much/little paint on.

Reply to
Paul Simon

The tracks on the window are covered over with a protective paint, so it's hard to get a multimeter to make contact. Here's my approach: Get the window foggy, then switch on the engine and the heater. Note or mark which tracks are not clearing. Check carefully along each track for breaks. It's really easy to see breaks if you shine a light from the other side. Wherever you see light along the track will need to be bridged - often a track is broken several times. Use a fibreglass pencil to clean the protective paint from each side of the break, then use as little silver paint as possible to bridge the gap. The painted spot will not heat, it's too conductive, so don't overpaint any more than you have to.

Reply to
Bob Davis