Replacing clutch on 97 Daewoo Nexia 1.5 16v

Hi all,

The clutch failed on my Daewoo Nexia last week. It had been getting harder to get in to gear, until it had reached the point where I could tell that the clutch was not fully disengaging the gbox from the engine, and I could not select reverse whilst the engine was running.

I adjusted the cable which made the clutch work nicely again, and made a mental note to pick up a new clutch cable soon.

However, a few days later, as I went to change gear the clutch went, and the pedal dropped most of the way to the floor. Pressing the pedal had no effect at all.

I assumed that the cable had snapped, but on closer insepection the cable is fine - moving the clutch arm causes the pedal to go up and down, so it would appear that the problem is in the clutch itself.

I've been quoted £180 to fit a replacement clutch - does that sound reasonable? Also, from what I've described, does it sound likely that it will need a new clutch (I imagine so) or is there likely to be some easy fix?

Many thanks

David P

Reply to
David Precious

seems a reasonable price, what might have happened, where you've left it for so long, the forks on the clutch cover mind have snapped, thus allowing the clutch release bearing to eat its way through the cover plate or the actuating arm that holds the release bearing might have broken, seen a few where the welds have given way, but this is normally through abuse !

Reply to
reg

The clutch in my old Nexia 16v got harder & harder to press until eventually it completely went. For the 3 part clutch kit itself is around £65 but surprisingly my local Halfords had one for just £35 (which I think was a price mistake) however they wanted over £200 to fit it. My local friendly garage fitted it for £80 labour. I couldn't believe the difference the new clutch made, it was like pressing fresh air.

Reply to
John